•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power outlets in the aveo. Which to use?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Power outlets in the aveo. Which to use?

My 2006 Aveo, has 2 power outlets. The 'cigarette lighter', and another 'power outlet' on the floor next to the auto. shifter. What is THAT one used for?? I am trying to figure out what gets plugged into it. How much power does it put out, and its use. I have used the cigarette lighter as the power supply to run a my portable DVD player, when I want to watch/listen to movies as I drive. I have had that annoying problem of blowing out the fuse relay, the 'brake interlock replay', under the dash, like 10 times easily, the one that locks out the shifter, and usually blows the brake lights out. So I stopped using the lighter like a year ago. (I am lazy. I have not replaced that reply AGAIN, since it last blew out.) The lighter works fine, So what is that other power outlet used for??

All I can think of is cell phones. Is that it? Is it to powerful for my DVD player? I dont want to blow it out, so I have never plugged it into that. So...whats it for and how powerful is it?

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      May we have a photo of the socket please?
      no image

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (05-29-2019)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by gclark8 View Post
      May we have a photo of the socket please?
      I should have said the power outlet/plug is right next to the E-Brake. So..here it is. I cant be the only one with one. am I?
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks
      pics below

Thanks
      Like it says on the lid, "Power Socket 12V 120W". It looks like an after-market Accessory Socket, similar to the one in the dashboard. As it is mounted in plastic, don't use it for a hot cigarette lighter! Phones and other low current 12V Accessories should be ok.

My Aveo/Barina didn't have an eBrake either, your car must have some custom fittings.
      Last edited by gclark8; 05-29-2019 at 11:19 PM.
      no image

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (05-30-2019)

Thanks
      Well thank you.
      But I did buy it brand new in 2006 of the Chevy lot. All this is standard equipment. As i said, I don't know what it is used for. Where do you live that you dont have an E-Brake in your car?? That is standard equipment since cars were invented....aren't they? I have never seen a car without one in 55yrs of being alive. I don't smoke and would never use it for cigs. anyway.

I dont know what 12V means. Or 120W means. It sounds like a lot of power for a DVD player. In 2006 when i bought it, cell phones were barely 'plug in' 'recharge ' then. So i dont know what it was meant for THEN. Let alone now. I wont be driving it for about another week, as it is. I cant see the printing you said is there. I have a terrible eye infection now, and cant even drive for another week or more. I am typing this with a mag. glass and lots of erasing!! Is 12V or 120W a lot of power? What would it have been installed for back in 2006 to be used for?? It is standard equipment. Is it just obsolete?

Thanks
      I know all about the lack of eyesight, I lost one eye at birth! The other, as it has to do a lot, I pray for it daily and buy the best Zeiss Glass lenses!

12V = 12volts, the Voltage of the vehicle's electrical system.
      120W = 120 Watts, the maximum power the socket and associated wiring will handle. If you know OHM's Law, that means it will carry a maximum of 10 Amps, that's Current.

E-Brake, I have one in the Suzuki! It is run by twin lasers, just above the rear vision mirror, firing through the windscreen. It works a treat if you get too close to the car in front of you!! E-Brakes, E-ON!!
      Last edited by gclark8; 05-31-2019 at 03:13 AM.
      no image

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (05-31-2019)

Thanks
      I guess mine is called a plain old PARKING BRAKE. Today they call it an 'EBrake' lever/switch in brand new cars. That costs hundreds and hundreds to repair, and runs off computers to engage and release it?? Such improvements. My good old plain one, in my Aveo and millions of other cars since day 1. You pull up on it to park, especially if you have a manual tranny. And you put it down to release it. Simple and it always works

Thanks for all the info. And I know about only having 1 eye. 'Technically' I have 1 eye that I can 'legally' see out of. So the other one I have babied all my life, well since 17yo when the other got this hateful infection that pops up yearly like the plague! All I see from it is milky blob shapes. So...it sucks! Well...thanks, and my car has a 'parking brake' I should have called it that. it is FAR from an 'E-Brake'

Thanks
      Sweet!! Its all about the jargon.

My old Aveo/Barina had a "Parking Brake", it was mounted on the "Transmission Tunnel", just behind the "T-Bar"(auto)! The Suzuki has the same in similar locations.

Look after your eye, always buy the best quality glass lenses, reduce computer time and a good diet and eye rest is important for eye muscle health.
      no image

What's wrong with my car? furrbrain's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      What is the actual current capability of the cigarette lighter in the dash? I'd like to install a ham radio in that circuit and I think I remember cigarette lighter circuits being 20 amps. The radio draws 12 amps by spec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast