•  

Thread: Newb Questions!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Newb Questions!

Hi!

I had to take my poor '05 LT Hatchback to the mechanics yesterday. Of the myriad of issues it had (the most major - and amusingly the cheapest being the Vacuum pump? Or...something of that sort. I'm unfortunately not mechanical) was that the radio had completely died. It started off as the display not staying lit. It was off almost constantly, and would only sometimes flash on and then fade out after an instant when I started the car. Then it began shorting out from time to time and going out altogether.

Well, the SVC Writer informed me that it had died completely and that at this point needed to be replaced. It was a stock radio, the large variety with CD, AM/FM, and CD Track info display. It's supposed to cost 700 to replace.

Since we're hard for cash, and since I've always wanted a radio with a blue display, we decided to buy our own and install it. It shouldn't be too hard, since it's something my mom did on an old '84 Oldsmobile I bought from our elderly neighbor a couple of years ago that had a tape deck.

The questions I have are if this radio will work as a replacement, if I use this installation kit. I want to make sure I have the right parts so that when we go to do it, we won't have any problems. And are they pretty much a plug-and-play setup once you get them dismantled? I tried looking for things to help me know what I'm doing, but it looks like every year model is different in one way or another and all confusing, and I thought it would be best to ask so hopefully someone can tell me specifically about my own situation.

Also, with the old radio, is it possible to dismantle it to take out any CDs that may be left inside? I think my Avatar soundtrack is still inside.

Thanks for the help you guys can give me! I didn't even know there were clubs for Aveo owners until today! I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one crazy about their little chirper!

I didn't even know it was possible to "trick out" an Aveo and race it until now. You people are making me totally want to start getting into modding so I can really deck mine out.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Newb Questions!

Well, first of all, I'd check for myself if the radio is actually completely dead... it sounds like it might have ground issues or something of that sort. And of course you can dismantle it - you can dismantle anything if your only point is to get whatever is inside...

second - $700???? My whole setup with nice deck, speakers, and sub/amp didn't cost that much...

And third, if you have the right wiring harness, you should be easily able to get it in there... I know some people don't like the site, but I've had a few positive experiences with http://www.sonicelectronix.com, plus they throw in free wiring harness and free installation bracket kit with their decks... worth checking out. You can even throw in a double-din radio to get rid of that storage space...

Hope this helps...

And welcome to the forum!
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      Well, first of all, I'd check for myself if the radio is actually completely dead... it sounds like it might have ground issues or something of that sort. And of course you can dismantle it - you can dismantle anything if your only point is to get whatever is inside...

second - $700???? My whole setup with nice deck, speakers, and sub/amp didn't cost that much...

And third, if you have the right wiring harness, you should be easily able to get it in there... I know some people don't like the site, but I've had a few positive experiences with http://www.sonicelectronix.com, plus they throw in free wiring harness and free installation bracket kit with their decks... worth checking out. You can even throw in a double-din radio to get rid of that storage space...

Hope this helps...

And welcome to the forum!
      I don't know if it really is or not, but I figure if they're just going to say it's dead, then I can just take it as an opportunity to replace it with something I like better.

I think it's going to be 700 since they're going to replace it with the OEM factory radio from the dealership down the street. If I recall correctly, the higher-end units end up being a $300 markup when you "build your own" on the Chevy website, don't they? Either way, it was enough to make my mom flip her top.

With the wiring harness, is that what this is? And what's the difference between Double-Din and Single-Din other then the obvious size? I thought it was just that the DD were the larger systems and the SDs were the smaller ones, but from what I've seen, there are wiring differences as well? I don't want to get one and find out that it won't fit my car because of the ports, like I had happen with my computer and RAM when I started modding that years ago. I'll definitely have a look at that website. Thanks. I just liked the one on Best Buy because it was affordable, and had a nice display and mostly the same options as my old one. I intended to use the storage compartment to hold it's remote control. :P If I got one from that site, would I not have to order anything extra at all to install it once it came in? And have people had bad experiences with the site, or is it just the set up that they're not big on? Sorry for sounding so newb. haha

It definitely does help, even if I have more questions now. hahaha Thanks so much. Maybe I'll have pictures to show of my car once I get it back from the mechanic. I'll just be happy to have him running again. D8

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

No, the link you have in there is to the installation kit, not the wiring harness... you'd have to buy that too (unless, like I said, you order it from http://www.sonicelectronix.com and they throw both of those in for you, they did for the radio I picked out)... And since you have an 05 hatch - most likely you have the same wiring harness as me. All hatchbacks from what I know from 04 to 08 have the same single connection wiring harness. 07-10 sedans and 09-10 hatchbacks have different style double-plug connections from what I recall reading somewhere else (some people know this better than I, so I'm sure they'll jump in and correct me here soon )

And double din just fills that space better and looks better IMO... and it provides space for lager buttons/bigger screen as well...

I believe petrified.rabbit has a few stock radios for sale (some with CD and AUX input if I remember correctly), get in touch with him through PM or email... If one of his radios will fit, you'll get way better deal on it than the dealer/shop you're talking to. Plus OEM will look... well... OEM...

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD