•  

Thread: kits to convert to power locks

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

kits to convert to power locks

Looking for a kit to convert stock door over to power locks. Has anyone tackled this task?[/b]

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Yes I have, I only have the front driver door done so far but will eventually get the others done too. No aveo-specific kit exists and there's really no need. You just go to a good car audio shop (none of that Best Buy sh*t) and most will be able to do it...

The operation basically involves just getting an actuator motor and putting it in there somehow (I didn't see it get installed and I still have no idea how they or even power windows work)... The good thing is it's ridiculously cheap to get them and have them put in, the place I went did 1 door for $30... Total, yes $30, parts and install.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Best Buy ****? lol....
      -- xtreme 2

Body Kits | Exhaust | Intakes | More!
      http://www.dlspeedonline.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/DLSpeed

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Re: kits to convert to power locks

I did this myself as well. I bought a kit on ebay that was an alarm/remote start/keyless/power locks. I have seen the universal actuators for around 5-10 bucks each, or kits of 4 and the relay for around thirty bucks. I too only did the 2 front doors so far and it was pretty straightforward mounting the actuators, I didn't even use the supplied mounting strap, just screwed right to inside of the door. You will have to run wires through a molex in the door, that took me a few to figure out(why can't I fish a wire through ) I bought some switches too, but didn't wire them yet, I programmed the alarm to lock the doors when the rpms hit 2.5 times idle and unlock then the key is turned off and it works great. Oh and no, I didn't take any pics when I did it, sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      I did this myself as well. I bought a kit on ebay that was an alarm/remote start/keyless/power locks. I have seen the universal actuators for around 5-10 bucks each, or kits of 4 and the relay for around thirty bucks. I too only did the 2 front doors so far and it was pretty straightforward mounting the actuators, I didn't even use the supplied mounting strap, just screwed right to inside of the door. You will have to run wires through a molex in the door, that took me a few to figure out(why can't I fish a wire through ) I bought some switches too, but didn't wire them yet, I programmed the alarm to lock the doors when the rpms hit 2.5 times idle and unlock then the key is turned off and it works great. Oh and no, I didn't take any pics when I did it, sorry.
      I have a power door lock kit and would like to get it installed
      so how did u get the wires through the molex or even get it out? . i pulled the rubber tube/duct off the molex and now im guessing i have to get it off somehow to get the tube back on.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brainless
      Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      I have a power door lock kit and would like to get it installed
      so how did u get the wires through the molex or even get it out? . i pulled the rubber tube/duct off the molex and now im guessing i have to get it off somehow to get the tube back on.

you btter be taking pics while your doing this!!!!!!

lol jp, but pics would be great if you can get some for others to see.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

i will get pics if i dun forget ..

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

There are little tabs that you have to press on and the molex will come out. There are a lot of blank spots in my molex as I had power nothin, so I drilled two holes in the blanks for the wires to go through. Make sure you check the location of the actuator before you drill, make sure the holes will be covered by the door panel.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I am looking to install a power lock conversion kit in my 2007 Aveo. I have owned 5-door hatchbacks before, and one thing that I liked about them (vs. a sedan) is that when I hit the unlock or lock button, the hatch locks and unlocks as well. This way, I can open the hatch when the car is unlocked without having to worry about it.

The problem is, all of the kits I have seen so far are only 4-door kits. I have never installed lock kits before, so I don't really know what I'm doing right now.

My question is, is it possible to add a 5th actuator to these kits? Rather, do the central locking mechanisms have the option to add a 5th actuator?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      It would be easier to install an alarm with remote. Then you can buy individual actuators that will tie into the alarm brain and the door locks. That is what I did. If you are looking at the spal all in one kits, I can tell you their actuators are junk. I ended up going with a different manufacturer and individual actuators. The individuals come with the rods and everything needed to tie into the door locks. Word of warning, the drivers side door lock actuator will come loose if you try to lock the doors with that door open. That requires a removal of the door panel to fix. Our cars have a feature where the drivers side door will not lock when it is open. If you hit the lock button with that door open, the actuator will pull against the lock which will not lock. When that happens, the rod connector jumps off of the lock rod, and quits working.