•  

Thread: Installing e-brake replacement cover, hints?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Installing e-brake replacement cover, hints?

Hey. I got a 'made to measure' replacement E-Brake cover for my Aveo. It is cut to the correct shape/size. BUT...how do I get the original one off? And how do I get the new one to stay on?

The plastic frame that holds it to the base, is slightly warped, I can feel it pulled away from the sides. That part I cant find anywhere. So...does that make much of a difference? That's it basically. How to get the cover off, and what keeps the new one on? And with the base kind of 'warped' from age/heat, do I glue it onto the base with like super glue, or just stuff the new cover on, (it is meant to be 'cut to length), or what?

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      Try a plasti-weld sortof thingy that has a typical two part epoxy syringe delivery, where you squish it out and mix it up. Just a thought it works really well to glue plastic stuff together, then on top of that level surface make a removable base for your replacement e-brake cover.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to northguest47 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (05-25-2020)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Well I managed to get the cover off, it just about fell off. I thought there was a metal ring of some sort holding it onto the brake handle. There is a groove next to the grip, to have a ring of some sort to hold it on. BUT it was just a tight fit, (when it was built), so it had nothing holding it on.
      Over the YEARS I guess it just became loose, it just pulled off. BUT, I didn't have the staples to install the new cover ($18 on Ebay. ). The proper way, to the plastic Trim Ring, that the cover fits onto.
      I attached it with 'Gorilla Super Glue', and many clothespins holding it on overnight. Worked GREAT! But being the stupid 'smart-guy' that I am, I put in on inside-out.

I put it on so that the plastic 'Trim-Frame' now shows, with the cover on the INSIDE of it, instead of on the outside of it,where it was. That made it just short enough, that it doesn't reach into the groove where it would need to be attached somehow, (with a black Zip-Tie, I finally thought of), to hold it in position on the E-Brake. But it is on and hell, no one is looking at my car on the inside, just me. I wish I had not messed it up. I might buy a second cover, to fix it right.

BUT does anyone know where to buy that plastic 'Trim Frame' that the base goes around? Mine was bent on the sides, that is why I put the new cover on the INSIDE of the frame, so the segments that hold it onto the console, would hold it in place. But that 1/2in mad it to short to reach the place to put a Zip-Tie on, to hold it in place. I can't find that 'trim frame' on any car parts site, anyone have a lead on where to get one???