•  

Thread: Horn Buttons and Cruise Control Buttons Stopped Working - Help Advice Needed

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks

Horn Buttons and Cruise Control Buttons Stopped Working - Help Advice Needed

Trying to figure out if this is an expensive fix or not... maybe I get lucky and someone knows whats up.

I wrecked the power steering rack on my car (don't want to get into that story) but point being when the rack failed I made the mistake of twisting the steering wheel around clockwise way more times than normal. Also did the same thing counter clockwise. Then after doing so realized I didn't know where the zero spot was anymore so I guess and spun the steering wheel back to what I thought was the original 12 o'clock.

Now there is a clicking/dragging sound sound when I turn the steering wheel around thought that maybe I pulled some wires and they are dragging around in there but then I searched the forum and read about the clock spring, which I've never heard of.

So do you think I fakked the clock spring? Car runs fine but no horn with either button and the cruise control on/off button doesn't work either (no light comes on to say that cruise is on).

Thanks
      Its the clock spring, darn. No aftermarket part like what a search said on this forum. Gotta buy OEM. I must have broken the clock spring somehow.. well thats a new one!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Clock spring is a super easy fix in the cars I've had to do it in. Just take care when handling the airbag and ALWAYS make sure it points away from you

Thanks
      Thanks, EAD15 I was thinking to tackle this one myself but still was hoping to hear from someone who has actually pulled it in an Aveo. Still I could remove the airbag and save labor if I do take it to a shop. And yes I know about safety with the airbags, almost set all of them off when I first joined this forum!

First to see if I can source the part..

Thanks
      Part is on order coming from the US in about 10 days. In the meantime will study removing the airbag and steering wheel. EAD15 when you have replaced clock springs is there no soldiering to do?
      Still a little confused how the clockspring connects downstream of the steering wheel to the however many wires it needs to be connected to... or could that be damaged and not the clock spring??
      The steering feels restricted un-evenly when doing 3 point turns and I can hear clicking and dragging sounds that seem to be coming from the clock spring area.. so thats all I have to go with for now.
      Anyone free to chime in this work won't be done for a couple of weeks now.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by northguest47 View Post
      Part is on order coming from the US in about 10 days. In the meantime will study removing the airbag and steering wheel. EAD15 when you have replaced clock springs is there no soldiering to do?
      Still a little confused how the clockspring connects downstream of the steering wheel to the however many wires it needs to be connected to... or could that be damaged and not the clock spring??
      The steering feels restricted un-evenly when doing 3 point turns and I can hear clicking and dragging sounds that seem to be coming from the clock spring area.. so thats all I have to go with for now.
      Anyone free to chime in this work won't be done for a couple of weeks now.
      The 2 times I've done it in other cars, it was a simple connector, no soldering required. Be sure to make matching marks (with a sharpie, for example) on the steering wheel and the hub it connects to so you can re-install it properly aligned afterward.

Finally, the steering wheel will probably feel "stuck" on the hub at first. You can get a steering wheel puller or just use my favorite method, yank hard. Just make sure all connectors are disconnected so you don't rip any wires.

Edit: Here's a video describing the general steps. This is not specific to the Aveo but gives good guidance on what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKcU...ture=emb_title

Also, no horn or cruise control after you turned the wheel an unknown amount of times points to the clockspring. The noise/clicking you are hearing is likely the clockspring's internal ribbon having been ripped and just catching. The video above shows what's inside.

Trust me, you'll come back after you finish this job and go "That was it? It was easy. Hardest part was figuring out how to tear down to it"
      Last edited by EAD15; 01-31-2021 at 07:27 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EAD15 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-25-2021)

Thanks
      I forgot to update this? Yes it worked well I was a bit stressed out ratchet strapping the steering wheel, but it popped like you were saying. The theft proof grk looking screws were frustrating to say the least only because in a lockdown I just went to my mechanic and asked him if he would loan me this torx bit and he did and I bought him and his buddy coffees.

It all work fine and the clock spring install is more about wire guiding than anything else, there only one of two ways you can get the thing on as far as I could figure out. Just like the dang valve cover gasket that keeps failing

cruise control and horn working fine, its a lovely car with these options, cruise control on a manual
      and a power sunroof its quite nice in this ridiculously mis-understood car

Last edited by northguest47; 05-02-2021 at 05:35 AM.