•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help: Installing Power Locks (part of SP-101 alarm system)

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      No sweat. Glad to help. It wasn't long ago I was completely new to this as well. I'm by no means a pro, but I've become pretty comfortable giving a lot of car electronics a shot. The biggest thing you can do is master your Google Fu. It doesn't matter what it is, but someone on the internet has probably done it before you. The answers are out there, you just have to wade through the BS to find the answers.

From the link you provided, there's a couple higher rated reviews that explain that they DID have to purchase 2 relays. It looks fairly simple though. You can do it, just Google some youtube videos on "relay door locks install", etc. Take your time and watch some videos on how others do wiring of this sort. This may also be the first time you'll splice into wires and solder as well. It's not that hard, just do a search on technique and tips.

To add, the reason I didn't have to use separate relays, was my keyless entry/power door lock kit was essentially a box with relays and a remote sensor built in. Yours just operates a little different. They probably should have included the relays, and at least a couple comments echo that as well.

Also, if you haven't already come across this install info on Aveoforum, check it out:
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f84/a...48/index3.html
      Edit - the kit in this link has the built in relays. You'll have a couple minutes extra wiring and external relays.

Last edited by PoisonIvy; 09-22-2015 at 10:26 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoisonIvy For This Useful Post:

wolfforlunch (10-23-2015)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Here are some pictures:
      Attached Images Attached Images   

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      No sweat. Glad to help. It wasn't long ago I was completely new to this as well. I'm by no means a pro, but I've become pretty comfortable giving a lot of car electronics a shot. The biggest thing you can do is master your Google Fu. It doesn't matter what it is, but someone on the internet has probably done it before you. The answers are out there, you just have to wade through the BS to find the answers.

From the link you provided, there's a couple higher rated reviews that explain that they DID have to purchase 2 relays. It looks fairly simple though. You can do it, just Google some youtube videos on "relay door locks install", etc. Take your time and watch some videos on how others do wiring of this sort. This may also be the first time you'll splice into wires and solder as well. It's not that hard, just do a search on technique and tips.

To add, the reason I didn't have to use separate relays, was my keyless entry/power door lock kit was essentially a box with relays and a remote sensor built in. Yours just operates a little different. They probably should have included the relays, and at least a couple comments echo that as well.

Also, if you haven't already come across this install info on Aveoforum, check it out:
      http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f84/a...48/index3.html
      Edit - the kit in this link has the built in relays. You'll have a couple minutes extra wiring and external relays.
      Thanks for this my friend, I will purchase relays and update when they arrive. Also what source of 12v would be ideal to tap into?

Thanks
      Use that pictorial I linked a while back. Which means you'll also need to take the steering column cover off to find the connector with the power wire to the ignition. It has to be a constant source of power because it always needs to arm the car and be ready to have you unlock it, which the power for ignition is. It's completely fine to take the power there because it really doesn't draw that much power. If you were running something like an amp then you'd want to go straight to the battery with a fused link. It explains what holds it on, which if I remember correctly is a couple screws on the bottom and there is a screw on each side that you'll need to turn the steering wheel one way, remove the screw and then turn the wheel the other way to see the other one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoisonIvy For This Useful Post:

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hey so, I cant seem to find any video or pictorial instructions that actually shows the actual wire stripping and connecting. I'm a real noobie here so please bear with me, but am I supposed to just bare the needed ignition wires a bit and connect my relay wires to them? Or am I supposed to cut out the ignition wires and circuit it through the relays
      and back to the ignition? If anyone could take a couple of pictures for me it would be greately greately appreciated, I understand its a pain in the neck but I'm willing to reimburse you for it somehow, I'm extremely desperate.

Thanks
      First off, you're going to need some spare wire to run from the ignition to the relay. At the relay use some 'female spade terminal connectors' to plug into the relay. You'll need the crimping tool that is used on the connectors if you don't have one. I see you have a Princess Auto in Hamilton. Get some assorted colors in 18 gauge in 25 feet rolls to try and best correspond with what you're running to.

This is how I splice into an existing wire such as an ignition or power:
      Name:  splice8.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  177.3 KB
      I use an X-Acto knife to carefully peel away the wire coating all around (on the ignition wire). Using the tip of the knife just separate the strands a little. Then take your wire, insert it through the middle and give it a couple twists around. Then solder it. I use electrical tape to cover my splice. It's more professional to use heat shrink, but I'm not quite there yet. (Maybe my next installs.)

Here's the connectors:
      Name:  relay.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  82.0 KB
      These and the crimping tool are also available at Princess Auto. Don't be afraid to bring a couple parts in there and ask employees questions, and explain what you're needing it for.

Now this is a lifesaver: It's called a wire stripper. It's for the end of wires, one squeeze and it cuts and pulls off the wire cover. It's listed as $3.49 at Princess Auto.
      Name:  wire stripper.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  71.2 KB

So it looks like you'll need to splice 'into' the ignition wire, use some 18gauge yellow wire you've now bought, and run some wire (maybe a couple feet) to the '86' spot on that relay. As you get more experience (and trust me after you nail this, the feeling of accomplishment is addicting), you'll probably be able to visualize where you're going to tuck some of these relays away, so leave yourself enough wiring that gives you some options. It's easier to tuck the wiring away then try and make too short a wiring work in a tight spot. Oh, and buy yourself some zip ties to get the impending mess of wires wrapped up after.

It looks like you'll need 5 relays total if you're also connecting to the trunk release. The picture I attached of the relays shows 3 together. Again, I haven't used many relays in my life, but mounting them together may be a good idea, and then just run wiring to them from the alarm, then whatever wires out of the relay to their destinations.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PoisonIvy For This Useful Post:

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      First off, you're going to need some spare wire to run from the ignition to the relay. At the relay use some 'female spade terminal connectors' to plug into the relay. You'll need the crimping tool that is used on the connectors if you don't have one. I see you have a Princess Auto in Hamilton. Get some assorted colors in 18 gauge in 25 feet rolls to try and best correspond with what you're running to.

This is how I splice into an existing wire such as an ignition or power:
      Name:  splice8.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  177.3 KB
      I use an X-Acto knife to carefully peel away the wire coating all around (on the ignition wire). Using the tip of the knife just separate the strands a little. Then take your wire, insert it through the middle and give it a couple twists around. Then solder it. I use electrical tape to cover my splice. It's more professional to use heat shrink, but I'm not quite there yet. (Maybe my next installs.)

Here's the connectors:
      Name:  relay.jpg
Views: 1564
Size:  82.0 KB
      These and the crimping tool are also available at Princess Auto. Don't be afraid to bring a couple parts in there and ask employees questions, and explain what you're needing it for.

Now this is a lifesaver: It's called a wire stripper. It's for the end of wires, one squeeze and it cuts and pulls off the wire cover. It's listed as $3.49 at Princess Auto.
      Name:  wire stripper.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  71.2 KB

So it looks like you'll need to splice 'into' the ignition wire, use some 18gauge yellow wire you've now bought, and run some wire (maybe a couple feet) to the '86' spot on that relay. As you get more experience (and trust me after you nail this, the feeling of accomplishment is addicting), you'll probably be able to visualize where you're going to tuck some of these relays away, so leave yourself enough wiring that gives you some options. It's easier to tuck the wiring away then try and make too short a wiring work in a tight spot. Oh, and buy yourself some zip ties to get the impending mess of wires wrapped up after.

It looks like you'll need 5 relays total if you're also connecting to the trunk release. The picture I attached of the relays shows 3 together. Again, I haven't used many relays in my life, but mounting them together may be a good idea, and then just run wiring to them from the alarm, then whatever wires out of the relay to their destinations.
      Thank you for the very very detailed and helpful post. I am pretty clear on everything I think now. I am wanting to tackle this tomorrow and finish the beast once and for all. I just face a few minor problems: I decided that I'm not going to connect the alarm to the factory horn or do any of the other extra steps that would require extra relays, as I only have two in my possession. That being said, I can't seem to find the ground wire location nor the positive parking light location. I found the negative one but not the positive, any insight on where I can find these two? and also where is a good place to mount the shock-sensor?

Thanks
      The positive parking lights should be in a 22-pin yellow plug in the driver's kick panel area.
      2005-2006 Chevrolet Aveo Vehicle Wiring Chart and Diagram

For ground, just connect to a bolt in the dash assembly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PoisonIvy For This Useful Post:

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Ok I am really sorry PoisonIvy, you've been really helpful and I'm starting to feel like I'm abusing it, but I have some more questions:

So, the wiring diagram:
      Name:  SP-101 Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views: 10774
Size:  37.3 KB

shows that there are two white wires from the module that gotta be contected to the positive parking lights, does that mean that I connect them both to the one positive parking light found in the location that you mentioned?

Also, my Aveo is a 2005 LS, so I don't have a trunk release latch from the inside, the only way to open the trunk is from the outside, and I haven't installed an actuator in the trunk, so is there even any point to wiring up the trunk release wire?

And it says that I would need a relay between my factory horn and the module, but it also mentiones that I may not need a relay if the factory horn is not connected to 12V, so do I need one or not?

Also I don't understand the very bottom diagram, where it says to cut the wire from the starter solenoid to ignition switch and to run it through a relay, which wire do I cut and what is even an starter solenoid...lol I'm sorry but I'm a noobie

Lastly, which one of these relays would be appropriate to purchase? I already bought two from Amazon but that you mentioned I need 5 I gotta buy me some more if I wanna connect everything properly:

Search results for 'relay' | Princess Auto

thanks a lot in advance <3

Thanks
      Hey no problem. According to the last link I posted for 2005-2006 wiring today, it says to hook one white wire to the purple wire in the plug and one white wire to the brown/white wire.

No, don't bother hooking up the trunk release wire.

You may not need a relay. Hook it up to the black/white wire in the horn switch in the steering column. If it works, awesome.

What that diagram is showing is the key and the starter. ("Starter Solenoid" is a fancy way to say Starter.) The way it stands now, you have a yellow wire in the ignition switch, that runs from there to the starter. So somewhere in there where you can expose some wire you'll literally cut the wire. You'll run a wire from the key side of that (now cut) yellow wire to 87A, and the other side (starter side) of the yellow wire will now run to 30 in the relay.

It looks like the $6.99 relay is the type you're looking for. Plus it has a built in wired socket to make your life a little easier wiring it up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast