•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake Alarm LED Install

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Fake Alarm LED Install

Anyone out there ever installed anything like this?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HYPER-BLUE-FLASHI...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Pretty soon I am going to install some sort of blinking LED like this too simulate an alarm system since Im going to be putting a bit more money into my Aveo in the near future and I want to at least deter would be thieves.

The basic instructions say this:
      White: Connects to constant 12+
      Yellow: Connects to any 12+ accessory wire (12+ when the ignition is on)
      Black: Ground to any 12- wire or any screw that is in metal.

I installed a deck, speakers, amp and subs myself including taking apart the doors so Im pretty condident with this stuff. What and where are the constant 12 volt and 12 volt accessory sources though. Do I have to hook a wire to my battery or is there existing ones behind the dash. If anyone has done this before or can suggest a good way to install this I'd appreciate it before I start experimenting.

2006 Aveo 5 LS

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Re: Fake Alarm LED Install

The only real alarm lights are in red unless you customize it yourself...

Since people like that are extremely rare, a would be jacker could probably guess that it's fake and has no alarm attached, I mean have you ever passed by a car with a flashing light that wasn't red? If you have, was it a custom(ized) car?
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      The only real alarm lights are in red unless you customize it yourself...

Since people like that are extremely rare, a would be jacker could probably guess that it's fake and has no alarm attached, I mean have you ever passed by a car with a flashing light that wasn't red? If you have, was it a custom(ized) car?
      Ok, I agree, but..I dont intend to use blue..It was only an example.
      2006 Aveo 5 LS

Thanks

If you're going to spend money and time on a fake light, you might as well just wait and get an alarm system too, they only cost between $200~300 and it's better than anything fake...
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      If you're going to spend money and time on a fake light, you might as well just wait and get an alarm system too, they only cost between $200~300 and it's better than anything fake...
      That makes absolutely no sense. You are suggesting that if I am going to spend 15 dollars on a few fake LED's I might as well just spend $200-$300 on a real alarm. And also that If I am going to use my time to install an LED or two I should just install a full alarm system beacuse the install will take a similar amount of time? Thanks for the advice, but my question isnt who thinks LED's are a good alternative to an alarm system, it is, has anyone had any experience installing anything like this and how did they do it. I am not a delusional person that believes an LED is better than full alarm system, I have made my decision, and I have no interest in an alarm. Thanks anyway.
      2006 Aveo 5 LS

Thanks

Well it's up to you, I'd just feel better personally if I did have one.

Just my thoughts.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

gotta agree with Goast... if you are going to just put an LED in the dash and think that it's going to keep thieves away, you better have a back-up... it's like putting a "Protected by ADT" stake in your front yard when you don't really have a house alarm. To some thieves it may deter them, but a lot it will not...

I can get just about any alarm (minus the ones with GPS) for under $200... they are VERY simple to install, despite what Best Buy tells you (I am a former installer, and I can do the basic install in about 30 minutes)...

BTW, I have a Viper alarm in both of my cars, and my LED is blue...
      -- xtreme 2

Body Kits | Exhaust | Intakes | More!
      http://www.dlspeedonline.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/DLSpeed

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

I can get a car alarm for 39.99 where I work. Shock sensor, siren and dome light monitoring... I can look into it some more...I don't know the brand off hand. Can look into it if you like. Alarms aren't worth all that much... I can also get those back up alarms pretty cheap also.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

Didn't your car come with a factory installed alarm? Mine did. It's built right into the key.
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Thanks

I guess it depends on where you live, but I don't really think alarms will deter smash and grabbers too much. If you got something in view that's worth money, they're going to take it. Blinking light or not.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far the wall moves after you hit it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast