•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Alternator need changed to handle amp and sub

Does Alternator need changed to handle amp and sub

I'm planning on putting in a cheap amp and a 12" sony sub and was wondering if the alternator was powerful enough to handle the power load. When i roll the windows down it seems like the lights dim a little and the engine revs up a little bit if i keep trying to roll it down when its already in the down position.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks
      i have 250 watt clarion amp powering 2 300 watt 10' Total Audio subs. i have no flickerin of headlights or anything when its up full volume. and yes i know, its way underpowered but its what i had to work with at the time and i havent gotten around to adding another amp or replacing the existing one.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

i ran one 12" kicker solobaric L7 with a bridged Kenwood 1000W amp and it didnt dim the lights, but i dont have power anything so idk about your problem with the windows

Still love my daily driver aveosummit's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The alternator only has to be changed in the event that you are pulling more amps from it then it can produce.
      Aveosummit aka "C3Customs"

C3 Testimonials

Bravox Audio - Arc Audio - Stetsom - DLS - GermanMAESTRO - Clarion
      Your Sound is our Quality

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Try installing a cap. The stores power so that when the bass hits it takes the power needed for the bass from it not the alternator. Most alternators on veh's can handle an extra 10 amps since there not being used to its full capacity. Once you pass that capacity then you will have to upgrade or at least have a cap installed. So every electrical part that is extra should be taken into effect, ie: HID's, neon lights, brighter bulbs, amps, etc. Hope this helps.

Thanks
      Installing a capacitor does allow your audio system another resource to pull power from but a capacitor only help for a few seconds.

The alternator has to charge the capacitor and your battery thus putting more drain on your alternator.

A highly efficient system would be to run an amplifier(s) that are below(50-60%) the max amperage of your alternator so that even in the event that amplifier(s) pull the max amperage they can handle it does not damage your car.

*Remember the only thing that is creating any power in your car is the alternator everything that you can add is just a storage device( except for another alternator).

I hope that this helps.

C3 Testimonials

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Tank!

For get a cap, get another battery like a yellow top and throw it in the trunk. I think the12volt.com may have instructions.

Thanks

Re: Does Alternator need changed to handle amp and sub

Quote Originally Posted by sacklunch
      I'm planning on putting in a cheap amp and a 12" sony sub and was wondering if the alternator was powerful enough to handle the power load. When i roll the windows down it seems like the lights dim a little and the engine revs up a little bit if i keep trying to roll it down when its already in the down position.
      What amplifier are you looking at using?

C3 Testimonials

There is nothing wrong with your alternator. The reason your lights dim a little when you try to roll your windows down when they are already down is because the electric motor is stalled. When an electric motor is being powered on and is not able to turn it draws more amps. The solution to this problem is to stop pushing the down button when the windows are all the way down.

There is no need to get a cap or another battery unless you are planning on installing a monster amp (something over 2000watts).

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      1000 will dim your lights. I recommend a cap for anything in the 1000-3000 range. its not based on science, just what i've seen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast