•  
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cabin air filter

fbc
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I think they all have it, I've never seen an AVEO without one. Granted I've only seen 2012, 2013 and 2014 models with AC. I have to blow mine out every oil change due to my environment being so dusty.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Well, as I mentioned in my previous post, my 2007 Aveo5 SVM definitely does not have it nor did it come with the cabin air filter cover which I ordered and received. To install the cabin air filter and filter cover I have to cut out the knockouts built into the HVAC unit which I plan to do later today.

I think my Aveo came without one because not only does it not have AC but it doesn't have the optional AC installation brackets installed. I'm the original owner of the car.

fbc
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Hewlett View Post
      To install the cabin air filter and filter cover I have to cut out the knockouts built into the HVAC unit which I plan to do later today.
      Wow, kinda reminds me of the TESTORS model cars and planes I used to build as a kid. I used to hate the knockouts/cutouts. The exacto-knife that came with the kits usually weren't good enough to cut them out. I switched to a dremel tool a few years later.

Our cars were put together like a testors kit. Glue/snapon A1 to B5. Paint A1 white and B5 grey.

Thanks
      Yesterday I cut out the the knockouts where the cabin air filter slides in, vacuumed inside the HVAC with some mini vacuum attachments, installed the cabin air filter, and installed the cabin air filter cover I bought. I used a utility knife to cut out the plastic pieces and it was slow going ... I was very careful as I didn't want to overdo it and the plastic thickness was about 1/8" . From start to finish the job took 4 1/2 hours - I took a few breaks and rewarded myself with a cold beer once I finished cutting out the plastic.

Here is a photo of what it looked like before I cut out the plastic knockouts ("knockouts" is the wrong term because there is no way these just knock out).

Name:  Aveo5_SVM_2007_No_Cabin_Filter.JPG
Views: 1322
Size:  165.5 KB

And here is a photo of the finished job, showing the cabin air filter cover installed.

Name:  Aveo5_SVM_2007_Cabin_Filter_Installed.JPG
Views: 1140
Size:  163.8 KB
      Last edited by Steve_Hewlett; 07-12-2015 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Photo of finished installation added

fbc
      Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Hewlett View Post
      Yesterday I cut out the the knockouts where the cabin air filter slides in.
      Looks good. How did you get a vacuum hose through the small slot?

Thanks
      I recently bought a mini vacuum attachment set from Harbor Freight and it came with an adapter for a regular household vacuum and a small hose of its own with several mini vacuum tools that attach to the small hose.

8 Pc Micro Vacuum Attachment Kit

It's sold in Harbor Freight stores only but if there isn't one near you the kit or a similar one can probably be found on Amazon.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      This car never ceases to disappoint. I have a 2010 Chevy Aveo with AC and it has no cabin air filter. Should I be worried? I live in Texas and it is very hot. I had to replace my entire AC unit already. . . could have have been contributing to the problem? Unlike others I have never had any trash fly into my car. I guess I could install one, are they completely necessary?

Who can we sue?/!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234