•  

Thread: Airbag Light On after dead battery

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Airbag Light On after dead battery

My son killed the battery in his 07 Aveo and had to be jumped. Ever since then his airbag light is on. I took it to a mechanic and he said there were no codes. He tried to reset the light but it's still on.

Any thoughts? We recently installed an aftermarket radio but we used a wiring harness adapter and didnt cut any wiring.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      This happened to me, too. My battery started to go and ended up going completely. I got a new battery and now my airbag light is on. I tried resetting it with no luck.

Did you figure out how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
      Matt

Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nsa_sailor For This Useful Post:

dwatts5250 (11-17-2017)

Thanks
      Is there any more insight to this problem? I just replaced the battery in my 06 Aveo and my airbag light is now on. I do have an ELM 327 USB interface, but I do not have the software to reset the airbag light.

Is there anything I can do? Why does replacing the battery cause the light to come on?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      You need to physically reset the airbag module, they are normally located in the center console behind the hand brake.
      You cant just connect a computer to the OBE2 connector. You have to physically remove the module and have it reflashed.
      I work with accident damaged cars everyday and this is the only way to fix it.
      The module thinks the airbag has been deployed, and this could very well happen without even being in an accident if this problem persists.

Spudnik, there could of been a short while replacing the battery which caused the airbag module to think the car was in an accident, which triggered the airbags to deploy, but they wont. Either you have faulty airbags because they didnt deploy or they are currently a ticking time bomb.

I remember a couple of months back at the accident damaged car auctions, I found an 2010 Aveo5. Front smash so bad that the engine was shifted back and pierced the fire wall. Even though this was a horrendous accident, the airbags didnt deploy.

This is a fault with almost all chevys. The airbags wont deploy in an accident but could potentially deploy if your module thinks you've been in an accident.

When you take the module to any airbag company, ask them to also see if there was any recorded crash data, this can help you locate where the problem originally came from.

And one last thing, removing the center console is one hell of a job, it can take hours so be patient and remember, your working with cheap fragile plastic.

Thanks
      The battery in my 06 aveo died this wintor, I tried to start it and failed. After that the airbag light is on. I replaced the battery and the airbag light stays on. I took the car to a mechanics and they detected several error codes and ask me whether the car was in a collison. I bought it used and the first owner claim no accident. The airbag light is normal before that hard start. Is this a common problem to 06 aveo that the battery dies and then the airbag light is on?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      An error code saved on the airbag module means that the vehicle was once in an accident.
      You cant get rid of error codes LEGALLY.

You need someone who can reflash the airbag module to be able to get rid of the codes.

If there are codes, start looking for bolts that have been removed, it will indicate where the car was smashed.

Most common places are front and drivers side.

Thanks
      Does the 2007 Aveo sedan have an accessible fuse for the airbags? Manual shows fuse locations for hatchback but I could not find them for the sedan.

Thanks
      Answering my own question. Its the SDM fuse in the instrument cluster.

By the way found the following link on diagnostic procedure for SDM http://www.automx.co.za/htdocs/manua...veo_brm131.pdf
      Step 1 from there repeated below:

1 Turn the ignition to LOCK and remove the key
      2. Connect all SIR components and ensure thatall the components are properly mounted.
      3. Ensure that the ignition switch has been OFFfor at least 30 seconds.
      4. Observe the airbag indicator as the ignition isturned ON. Does the indicator lamp flashesseven times

Note that according to this, the airbag light should flash if SDM detects 9-16 volts input power

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jhoutso4 For This Useful Post:

dwatts5250 (11-17-2017)