•  

Thread: Added Cruise Control, is there a way to get the dash light working?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Added Cruise Control, is there a way to get the dash light working?

Thanks to this forum I have added cruise control to my 2009 Aveo5. I bought a steering wheel, clock spring and cruise control button from a local salvage yard. The install went well and the cruise control works fine. My question is if anyone has figured out how to get the dash light working? I can see the symbol on the dash but it does not light up when the cruise is activated. Thanks.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by blueveo View Post
      Thanks to this forum I have added cruise control to my 2009 Aveo5. I bought a steering wheel, clock spring and cruise control button from a local salvage yard. The install went well and the cruise control works fine. My question is if anyone has figured out how to get the dash light working? I can see the symbol on the dash but it does not light up when the cruise is activated. Thanks.
      you can try, but It probably gonna be more trouble than its worth; its because the T250 Instrument Cluster (that would be 2007-2011 Sedan, and 2009-2011 Hatch) is mostly LED Based. ALL The Warning and Indicator Lights (with the exception of the Low Fuel Light and the Turn Signal Indicators) use Surface mount LEDs which can be very easily damaged by the heat from a soldering iron.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      iirc someone got theirs to work. I think he just had to install a bulb.

but that might have been a pre 09.

What's wrong with my car? willisjm193's Avatar
      Thanks
      There is an open spot on the cluster gauge to solder an SMD LED (it is even labelled "cruise"). I changed all out the LEDs on my Yaris and I did them today on my friends Aveo. His is a 2010, same setup as yours. Did not hurt the circuit board. The biggest bridge to cross is desoldering the odometer screen from the circuit board so you can separate the circuit board from the plastic frame. But, as stated: Might be more trouble than it's worth. The only way it is worth it is if you have enough LEDS to customize the colors of the whole cluster.

Thanks
      I will probably just leave it alone. I have the tools and skills to do it buts it's just not worth the hassle. I am loving the cruise control, I drive 75 miles a day mostly on the highway. I think I will concentrate on my next project which is heated seats. I bought the pads just need to find time to take the seats out and do the wireing. Maybe I will do a how to on the seats.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      I will probably just leave it alone. I have the tools and skills to do it buts it's just not worth the hassle. I am loving the cruise control, I drive 75 miles a day mostly on the highway. I think I will concentrate on my next project which is heated seats. I bought the pads just need to find time to take the seats out and do the wireing. Maybe I will do a how to on the seats.
      I'd LOVE to see a how to for heated seats specific to an Aveo! Where did your order the pads? Come with wiring/buttons?

The nice thing about 'our hacked' cruise control set-ups is that the middle power button for cruise is permanently clicked on or off. To me, that's almost as good as having the light.

Thanks
      I ordered the heater kits from ebay. The quality looks good, it came with wiring and buttons. I plan on putting the buttons in the center console so I can see if the passenger leaves there seat on. I will take some pictures when I do the install and post them. It will probably be a few week till I get around to it. I think the hardest part will be taking the seats apart, I couldn't find any info online for removing the upholstery so I am just going to give it a shot and hope I dont mess it up.