•  

Thread: 12v tap spots in trunk for amp and sub?

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

12v tap spots in trunk for amp and sub?

Thought about throwing my old amp and sub into the aveo and did some searching but turned up nothing...

Does anyone know of an easy constant 12v point I could tap into near or in the trunk to power the amp without running wires from the dash/battery?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      You aren't going to find any circuit in the OE wiring that will handle the load of a average amplifier; about the only thing you could hope for would be an "ignition hot" wire to trigger the power circuit in the amp itself (the one that's usually triggered by the blue wire on an aftermarket stereo).

The power lead for most amps needs to be a fairly large gauge wire, and the only place on the car you're going to see that size cable is in the starting/charging circuit (battery, starter, alternator). If you were to try and use the wiring in the rear of the car, it would end up overheating and you'd ultimately end up with Aveo Flambe.

That's not to say it hasn't been done that way, just that it's not the safe or proper way to do so...

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimzdat For This Useful Post:

06T200 (12-09-2015),2010AveoLT (01-23-2017),MetroMPG (12-04-2015)

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jimzdat View Post
      You aren't going to find any circuit in the OE wiring that will handle the load of a average amplifier; about the only thing you could hope for would be an "ignition hot" wire to trigger the power circuit in the amp itself (the one that's usually triggered by the blue wire on an aftermarket stereo).

The power lead for most amps needs to be a fairly large gauge wire, and the only place on the car you're going to see that size cable is in the starting/charging circuit (battery, starter, alternator). If you were to try and use the wiring in the rear of the car, it would end up overheating and you'd ultimately end up with Aveo Flambe.

That's not to say it hasn't been done that way, just that it's not the safe or proper way to do so...
      he is correct; amplifiers need a fairly large current to get them going and the only parts of the electrical system designed to handle that much current is the starting/Charging systems; if you try tapping into any other part of the electrical system, you'll start melting wires, which runs the risk of as jimzdat said
      you'd ultimately end up with Aveo Flambe.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2010AveoLT For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-04-2015)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thank you both for the insight, I was under the impression that the wiring was more robust.
      Know of any clean wiring routes from the front to the trunk where they arent visible in the interior?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      remove the interior rocker panels and run the wiring under the edge of the carpet.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      remove the interior rocker panels and run the wiring under the edge of the carpet.
      There is an easy grommet to use on ATX cars where the clutch pedal would normally go.

Don't use the factory wiring, as stated above. Whatever ground you use, make sure it's sanded to bare metal and secured with a good washer and bolt.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by w00tah View Post
      There is an easy grommet to use on ATX cars where the clutch pedal would normally go.

Don't use the factory wiring, as stated above. Whatever ground you use, make sure it's sanded to bare metal and secured with a good washer and bolt.
      and to add to w00tah's advice; make sure the power wire running to the amp is fused, that way if the amp ever shorts out, it will blow the fuse, rather than making Fire Roasted Aveo.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      and to add to w00tah's advice; make sure the power wire running to the amp is fused, that way if the amp ever shorts out, it will blow the fuse, rather than making Fire Roasted Aveo.
      Correct, fused within no more than 18" from the battery positive. I generally stay within 12" of the terminal, whenever possible.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to w00tah For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (01-14-2016)