•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '07 Aveo LS (looking for audio advice)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

'07 Aveo LS (looking for audio advice)

So. . .may need some help here. . .I've never bought any audio accessories for any of my vehicle's, but the aveo's stock system is just so awful it's now a necessity. I'm pretty sure I've found the head unit I want, but on Best Buy (yeah, I know) it says it won't fit the vehicle. Does that just mean they don't have the dash kit for it, or will it really not fit my vehicle. I was under the impression that all stereo's would fit all vehicles. Also, going to get new speakers and a sub. I have barely any idea what the specs mean, whether to get an amp for my sub and my speakers, or just for my sub. If anyone could help that would be fantastic, I'm new here and haven't contributed a whole lot, so I would understand if you wouldn't find it worth your time. I also need some recommendations on what kind of amp/speakers/sub would be good. Basically, I know nothing. Anyways, if you would want to help, here is the head unit I'm looking at, feel free to make fun of my choice.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665755310

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: '07 Aveo LS

To be honest, that unit is overpriced. For $300, you could get a full sized one, possibly with a friggin DVD player. Check out crutchfield for a vast array of home A/V, audio A/V and everything in between. If you decided on BestBuy because you also want them to install it, don't. Buy stuff from somewhere cheap, then either find a friend to do it and help him, or find somewhere NOT BestBuy (my anti-BB is showing, isn't it?)

As far as subs/speakers are concerned, it really depends on how much you want to spend and what type of music you listen to. If you listen to rock, 10's, maybe 12's, will be sufficient. I would suggest Rockford Fosgate or JL Audio for subs. Also, if you are plannig on running your other speakers off an amp (most head units make this an unnecessary venture), I suggest using a seperate amp for them and buying a crossover so the subs only have bass input.

Hope I helped. I'm not a guru by any means, but I know enough to fry stuff.

Thanks

Thanks, all of that helps a lot. Yeah, I wanted best buy to install it, I don't really know how to do any of that stuff and just by reading on here it appears all of you are pretty well versed in self-installation. I've been able to get best buy to deliver/install basically everything I've ever bought from there for free. And I wasn't really too set on that head unit, I do like it, thought, although I wasn't going to buy it directly from Sony. I really want a bluetooth a2dp unit as I use my palm pre as my music player and I use it A LOT, so bluetooth pairing would be really awesome for me. I like all kinds of music, so I was thinking 2 10's or 12's for the subs, was thinking 10's because I primarily listen to rock music so I don't need anything that hits TOO hard.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rundown87
      was thinking 10's because I primarily listen to rock music so I don't need anything that hits TOO hard.
      A good pair of 10's are, IMO, perfect since they are good all around. You can adjust them to slam like crazy, or sound good with rock as well. it all depends on how well you set it up (proper amp/box etc.). My first system I installed with the help of a friend. i know it may seem like a daunting task, but it's not that bad with a little prior knowledge. Plus, you will learn alot more than having it done for you.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

So. . .may need some help here. . .I've never bought any audio accessories for any of my vehicle's, but the aveo's stock system is just so awful it's now a necessity. I'm pretty sure I've found the head unit I want, but on Best Buy (yeah, I know) it says it won't fit the vehicle. Does that just mean they don't have the dash kit for it, or will it really not fit my vehicle. I was under the impression that all stereo's would fit all vehicles. Also, going to get new speakers and a sub. I have barely any idea what the specs mean, whether to get an amp for my sub and my speakers, or just for my sub. If anyone could help that would be fantastic, I'm new here and haven't contributed a whole lot, so I would understand if you wouldn't find it worth your time. I also need some recommendations on what kind of amp/speakers/sub would be good. Basically, I know nothing. Anyways, if you would want to help, here is the head unit I'm looking at, feel free to make fun of my choice.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665755310
      So is bluetooth something you're really concerned with? And for the sub, just make sure your stereo has pre-sub outputs for the base and high/low pass.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks

Yeah, I use my phone to listen to music probably about 90% of the time I'm in my car. Having it automatically connect with my stereo w/o cable is a dream come true. I hadn't looked at stereos and I just found out like a week ago they have them that have a2dp. I hate plugging in my aux cord, plus on the pre it doesn't allow me to open my phone cause my connector is too wide to allow it to slide up. I found some boston acoustics speakers on crutchfield, I really don't know anything about how to find out what a good amp is. 4-ohms, 400-2 RMS? FML. . .

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

What is you budget? Are you looking to just replace the head unit, or do you want a complete system with speakers/amp/sub? How comfortable are you wuth tools and electronics? Some of this information amy help with recommendations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      What is you budget? Are you looking to just replace the head unit, or do you want a complete system with speakers/amp/sub? How comfortable are you wuth tools and electronics? Some of this information amy help with recommendations.
      Well, I haven't decided yet, I figure if I replace the head unit I'll probably blow my speakers since they suck SO BAD, so I'd probably have to get new speakers (unless I'm completely incorrect which is very likely), and if I get new speakers I'll probably want a sub so I don't go and blow my new speakers using too much bass. I don't really want to spend any more than 700.00 if I was to get a whole new system. I'm pretty good with electronics. . .just not car electronics. . .

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Well, I haven't decided yet, I figure if I replace the head unit I'll probably blow my speakers since they suck SO BAD, so I'd probably have to get new speakers (unless I'm completely incorrect which is very likely), and if I get new speakers I'll probably want a sub so I don't go and blow my new speakers using too much bass. I don't really want to spend any more than 700.00 if I was to get a whole new system. I'm pretty good with electronics. . .just not car electronics. . .
      Well that clears things up. I am sure you can do this for 700 bucks with budget items. I would get a HU with the features you want and go from there. You mentioned bluetooth, how about SAT or HD radio? Ipod? USB? DVD playback? NAV? (may blow the 700 budget). HU installation is as simple as it gets on an Aveo.

how about this?
      http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020NX409/C ... l?tp=20212

Thanks

Re: '07 Aveo LS (looking for audio advice)

Well that one is a little pricy! I mean, not if I needed any of that stuff, I guess. I already have GPS on my phone, and I don't see me needing to watch DVD's. Basically just want one with bluetooth that will help me get the most out of my speakers, and has a pre-amp sub output.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast