•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind Noise

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Wind Noise

Hi all...

I have a bit of a problem with my "brand new" Aveo. Anytime I have a crosswind or get above 70mph I get a wind noise on the passenger side. I have taken it to the dealer a few too many times and I am quite fed up with them. I have decided to just do the work myself, at least this way its done right.

Anyway I believe its the outer door seal vibrating against the door and back to the body. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and another possible solution. I was thinking of adjusting the door in towards the body to maybe squeeze the seal a bit better... I dont know exactly what I am going to do... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Before I say this, I do not take any responsibility of your actions because of this.

I used to work at AMC, then Chrysler when they bought them out, then Mitsubishi Motors when Chrysler announced they were closing the plant. The way we adjust doors:

1. If the door is fitting at the striker area, flush fit from front door to rear door, do not adjust the striker farther in, this will just make it harder to close and you door will fit like crap.

2. Roll window down and place knee on interior door panel near the striker. Grab winow frame and give gentle tug towards yourself. WARNING!: do not pull too hard or you could crack the welds in your window frame where they attach to your door.

3. Make sure your window still operates properly in the track.

4. Close door and see if that worked.

As I said before, this is your decision if you want to do this. I'd try it, because I've done it many many many times before.

Thanks
      I would have never thought of trying this! I will try it though. No worries, I have broken enough parts in my time and I wont break any welds...haha Anyway after three trips to the dealer each taking one week each, I dont want to take my car back there.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      my father was a mech for 27 years and I cant remember how many times I watched him do that. Give it a try, take your time. it should work.
      Slammed!

Let me know how this works for you!

Thanks
      Well that little trick didnt work but I tried it on my F150 and it worked on that one. So it was still very useful info, thanks!

So now I tried taping down various areas and nothing seemed to work. I finally pulled off the passenger side plastic pillar thing and put a dab of silicone on the upper corner or the windshield. Drove it this morning and for now I have no noise. I dont think this is fixed though. I didnt have any strong cross winds this morning so I guess I will just have to wait and see.

I will keep you all updated as to my slow progress...

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I had to do that on a car I owned years ago, amazing little trick...
      Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518

Thanks
      OK! I feel stupid now...haha

Well today I was lucky enough to have some good crosswinds and there was the same ole sound like before. So while driving down the road, dont try this please, I was pulling the passenger door in pushin it out and all sorts of stuff til finally I pulled up on the manual window handle.

Well wouldnt you know it, the noise stopped. I would let the handle go and the noise would come back. I pushed forcefully on the handle again and that solved it for a couple of miles. So my question now is, are there adjustments on the window channels to adjust the window back to front and up/down? I noticed today during my lunch hour that the back of the window gets to the top a tiny bit sooner than the front. Would it be the same as adjusting the windows in my 80 Chevy pickup? Or maybe now should be the time to take it to the dealer (dont want to really)?

Anyway, narrowed the problem to the door window and now need to figure out what exactly I need to adjust or put silicone on.... Updates as soon as I figure out more.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      When you let go of the handle, does it drop back down any?
      Quote Originally Posted by thebarber
      if you cant take a joke, dont be one.
      Quote Originally Posted by y2daniel1981
      ah yes... the ricer scale.
      1 ricer = 3 vin diesel
      1 vin diesel = 2 paul walker
      4 paul walker = 1hp

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ChevroletRyan
      When you let go of the handle, does it drop back down any?
      It doesnt drop at all. I am talking about maybe 1/8 of an inch. For some reason its still enough for the thing to make noise. When I push on the crank I am basically forcing it to seal that last 1/8 of an inch. Window stays up fine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast