•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whindshiled glass damage......common?

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      Excellent reply! You have nailed it! A picture tells a thousand words!

I tried searching DOT numbers at the top of the page, no results!

My suggestion is, when the installer arrives to change the windshield, write down the DOT Number and check the database. Then Google the manufacturer to see if there are any issues.

When doing my research, I phoned the main local windshield warehouse who supplied me with all the DOT Numbers so I was able do the research and find some vision issues with all the windshields! (see my topic above for outcome)

Last edited by gclark8; 10-31-2018 at 07:51 PM.
      no image

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (10-31-2018)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      ok it says 'DOT in front of the '904',on the glass
      I JUST had the glass comp. here. The tech. SAID there was VERY MINOR pitting,in 1 spot. Right in my line of sight. NOT covered by warranty. BUT he would word it in his report, in a way that MY insurance would replace it. I got a call in 2 mins. from the glass company, saying the tech would come back in 30 mins, to replace it NOW. They would send the report/claim electronically to State Farm NOW, and it would go right through. It was much worse yesterday,and the weeks before. BUT with all my cleaning of the glass, i could only get the wiper to 'smear' the glass. That 'damaged area' wouldnt show up. BUT the tech. saw scarthes in the area i am having trouble with.
      BUT he says I caused it!! By using Ceramic Oxide powder!!!! I am not the only person to use that to polish glass,....am I? It is sold to clean/polish auto glass,...I dont even use it with a power polisher, I do it by hand, so it takes much longer, and isnt as powerful
      It gets rid of the oil/muck the road throws up on the glass. it gets it VERY smooth. Right??? I cant be the only guy on here that uses it to polish the glass, then put on Rain-X to make it slippery....right??? So...the tech is coming back, and going to replace the windshield. All the complaining I did, because the lady I was dealing with screwed up the time of arrival, me taking the entire day off, to have the tech. come by from 8-12...not 230pm!

THIS is the person I am dealing with on the phone, with this glass company, is the one that is sending in the report, and getting it replaced. I think to get a glowing review from me...when I get the report to answer their questions, about the service I received.

This tech SAYS that Cerium Oxide powder...that is softer than talcum powered,scratched my glass....ONLY in that one area! All the rest of my glass is in perfect cond. I use it all over the car, on the glass. it is made for THAT purpose....right? Yet it ONLY damaged my glass in that 1 area???
      He said I should NEVER use it on glass,....it scratches glass easily! I have been using it for over 35 years on all my cars/trucks...NEVER a problem....and it is sold for auto glass. It is the stuff they sell you to polish smooth cooktops on the stove/oven. It is SO soft, it doesnt scratch the paint! And it is softer than rubbing compound. I have been told to use 0000 Steel Wool on the glass, to get it clean. STEEL WOOL!, it is so soft it wont scratch glass, but will remove the oils and any pitting. Well...if THAT is not to rough...what about cerium oxide?.... it is made for auto glass, to clean it. So....thats it for now. Now i wait for the tech to come back and install my windshield.

But....does anyone else use Cerium Oxide Powder to polish your auto glass??? I cant be the only one. and it only damaged the glass in 1 circle area....out of all the glass on my car??

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
      gclark8 - from your e-mail:

PS: I think the issue with the info you were trying to paste is that it was inside a table. The forum didn't know what to do with that.

PPS: if you do a search based on the other number that FlaAveo5 posted, there's even an image of a windshield DOT number (possibly not the exact same window):

That one's for a Nissan Versa, but has the same manufacterer info.
      Thank yuo for posting that picture it looks exactly like that!

Thanks
      Well my new windshield is on the car. So...the reason for the rough area/scratches/smearing...is still a mystery. I didn't cause it. BUT i have a new windshield. It is now wiping nice and streak free again. BUT...now....does anyone else use Cerium Oxide powder...to polish their glass? I looked it up online, to be 100% sure. It is meant for auto glass polishing. Better with a power buffer, I do it by hand and it makes the glass squeaky clean and smooth. Then I put on Rain-X and it is perfect in summer storms, don't even have to use the wipers!! This stuff gets off all the microscopic oils and crap from the road, and makes it spotless,if you get hard water spots on the glass. So it is MADE for polishing glass. this tech. that put in my windshield is nuts. He doesn't know what he is talking about.....it is softer than baby powder...and wet, it is even softer, but it polishes glass. HE even said at the end of everything...'keep using that on all the glass on your car...just not the windshield'...it is all the same.I have used it for over 30years, on 30 vehicles....I intend to keep using it on my windshield.

So...does anyone else on here use it? I cant be the only guy using it. Has ANYONE had issues with Cerium Oxide powder on their windshield?? Hell it is on EBay and Amazon, a little goes a long way,...and it is the best to get all the junk off the windshield....and water spots. Now I have the interior 'fogging' of course, and will till I get to clean it myself. But it is new glass, it isn't 'out-gasing', I just need to clean it myself, after the adhesive is set. So....any other users of the powder??? That CANT be the reason the glass was screwed up. Thanks for the input.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      And the new DOT number is:....
      no image

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (11-02-2018)

Thanks
      in the post on the other page....someon else took the picture you wanted to see, it is the SAME as on my car

Thanks
      What happened with this? Did they replace the glass?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (11-02-2018)

Thanks
      please read the long post above i put up about the replacement

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FlaAveo5 For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-02-2018)

Thanks
      Lol, sorry. Not sure how I missed that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (11-02-2018)

Thanks
      no problem....if you have ANY input about my question about the Cerium Oxide powder....using it on the Windshield, I would appreciate it. Want to polish the glass tomorrow, and rain-X it...dont NEED to polish it, but would like to know if other car guys use it or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast