•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whindshiled glass damage......common?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Whindshiled glass damage......common?

I am waiting to hear back from the company that installed my replaced windshield, 8 years ago...to the day. I have been having a problem with the drivers side not getting clean, no matter the wiper blade I put in. I have tried from $3.99 to $35.99 ones! the drivers side is all streaks and in the center is is a small 'dead spot'. It looks like the wiper isn't touching it. It isn't the wiper being bent or to loose. I NEVER thought it could be the glass. Well today i go out to clean and then polish the glass, with cerium oxide, to make sure the glass is super clean. BUT as I wiped it down with Windex and paper towels, the drivers side I find that area the wiper wont clean. and it feels VERY slightly rough. Then as i run it dry, it gets BIGGER! Now it is the size of a salad plate. I can see through it, but the wiper is smearing worse, and that 'dead spot' is now huge.

I have called the company that put this windshield in,and I am waiting to hear back from them, to see if there is a warranty on it? To get it replaced...before I put in for an insurance replacement,...FREE in Fla. But I have to find out if the glass is defective, to get it replaced for free from the installer.

If this is something that happens to windshields over time? Has anyone ever had something like this happen? Is there some kind of film on the OUTSIDE of windshields? That can be damaged? I know the inside must have some-kind of film on it, for solar reflection?? But on the outside?? Is there something on the glass? I mean almost on the microscopic level?? Just trying to find out if anyone has had something like this happen to their windshield on ANY car,...let alone the Aveo. It is not like a big 'splat' , like some chemical hit the glass, there are not splatter spots. It is all together. Incase I get into some big dispute with my insurance company, or this glass replacement company. I would like to know if this happens over time....it is only 8yrs old. And I have NEVER heard of an exterior glass film....is there one? Thanks.

Thanks
      Very odd. I've never had a problem like that either.

Has this been an issue from day one, or is this a new development?

I would think the cerium oxide would have improved the situation by buffing the area and smoothing it out.

Thanks
      This is my 3rd windshield, original and 2 replacements. I was using the cerium oxide by hand as I discovered this rough/dull area. I thought it needed to BE polished, that made it 4 times bigger. Then cleaning it of, with Windex, it got even bigger! This is only 8 yrs old, I got the invoice from my insurance company, and it was replaced on 8/26/10...the day before my birthday ! It was done be 'Glass America'...NOT Safelite, as I thought, so after hours on the phone and 7 calls, I was told it is such an old invoice/job report,i will get an early call tomorrow, and they will send someone out to look at it, and if it is defective 'workmanship',they will replace it. BUT still dont know what their warranty is, i cant find it on their website, and no one would tell me. BUT they said they would call in the very early morning, send out someone, and replace it by Weds. if it is 'defective' material. The cerium oxide I was using, made it much bigger, then washing that of, with Windex, it got VERY big!! So...someone HAS to replace it. 'Glass America', or State Farm. In Fla. it is covered by my insurance for free replacement. Especially if it is in the drivers field of view, it MUST be replaced. At no cost to me!
      BUT it isn't a crack. It makes me unable to see in rain, so it is dangerous!! So i dont know what is going on with it, ...when they send someone out, tomorrow morning, I am hoping they tell me what is going on. It isn't like a chemical hit it, there is no splatter spots, it is like a BIG amoeba. Not a splatter spot. So it must be defective glass. But this 'film' is on the outside. I have never heard of that in my life!!! Thus I am asking if anyone else has had something like this on their windshield glass.
      Last edited by FlaAveo5; 10-29-2018 at 11:39 PM.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      Could you have a look on the bottom corner for the DOT number and post it please?

I have issues with astigmatism and ripples in the top layer of the laminate, however my topic may be worth a read, but not help your situation.
      https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f83/...n-glass-21694/
      Last edited by gclark8; 10-30-2018 at 01:14 AM.
      no image

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (10-30-2018),MetroMPG (10-31-2018)

Thanks
      it is in the lower RIGHT corner it say PGW
      Solex
      904 M413

DW1361

Does that mean something?

Thanks
      Lower right, the passenger side?
      Try placing a sheet of white paper from the inside, behind the data and taking a photo.
      This info should give you the maker and location.
      The DOT number does this: http://www.carwindshields.info/dot_db
      Last edited by gclark8; 10-30-2018 at 10:34 PM.
      no image

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (10-30-2018)

Thanks
      i just put it in the above reply that is it.

Thanks
      i typed it in ...in the reply above, it is much clearer there...than a picture. Besides, I don't have a 'smartphone' to put a picture on here. My digital camera is not powered up now. It takes all day to charge the batteries. But the numbers above are how they are on the LOWER RIGHT windshield. this 'Glass America' company is suppose to arrive between 1-3pm today...it was suppose to be 8-12 today. as usual...wait all freaking morning...no call. no nothing, till I bitched in 5 calls, So..now I sit and wait till 1-4pm! Wasted a full morning. NOW I am waiting to see what happens.

Thanks
      I still don't see "DOT###" in any of your posts above.
      Somethng is not updating, the Forum may not be saving the changes!

I have tried all the numbers in your post. This one seems to makes sense: Please confirm this is the DOT Number.

Edit: I have sent a report to the Mod, the Forum won't display the Dot number!
      Confirm this link: https://www.buypgwautoglass.com/splautoglass.asp
      Last edited by gclark8; 10-31-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: DOT Numbers won't display!
      no image

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (10-31-2018)

Thanks
      gclark8 - from your e-mail:

I think it may be DOT904:

DOT904 - PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) UNITED STATES
      I think you're right.

PS: I think the issue with the info you were trying to paste is that it was inside a table. The forum didn't know what to do with that.

PPS: if you do a search based on the other number that FlaAveo5 posted, there's even an image of a windshield DOT number (possibly not the exact same window):

Name:  pgw_dot_904_-_nissan_versa_2001-2011_windshield_replacement.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  20.8 KB

That one's for a Nissan Versa, but has the same manufacterer info.

---
      Aveo Underdrive Pulleys -- $20 Off Sale This Week. Get more info here.
      ---

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (10-31-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast