•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whindshiled glass damage......common?

Thanks
      I've heard of using it before as a polish. I wouldn't hesitate in using it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (11-05-2018)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      thank you...i knew i wasnt totally crazy.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      WOW!!! I thought that maybe I was crazy thinking that something was wrong with my new windshield. The old one had a bunch of cracks that my son was willing to deal with, but I wont even consider it, as far as I am concerned a cracked windshield is a dangerous one. I had the new one put in just recently as I was going to use the Aveo to take a road trip from Corpus Christi to almost all the way to Nebraska to see my first Grandson born. Seemed a lot smarter than taking the v-8 Dodge Dakota when it comes to money for fuel.

So my neighbor and friend who has worked in the glass business forever for other people has opened up his own company and I think that it is great. Well, over the years no matter who he worked for he has taken care of all the auto glass we have ever needed and for some reason my family goes through a lot of auto glass LOL He has always got us really great deals on the prices as well, I guess the good neighbor discount. So he puts a new one in the Aveo at a ridiculous low price and I am happy as a clam.

Shortly after that we had a little rain and there was this plate sized section that when the wiper returned to the passenger side of the car it was there, on the way to the drivers side it was clean as a bell. I just thought I had a bad wiper even though my son had just put on the most expensive ones that Rain-X makes. (he is an over the road truck driver and takes wipers seriously, not the cracks all over the windshield, but the wipers have to be top notch LOL) So on the day I head for North East Kansas it starts raining, more of a drizzle to start with though. I looked in wally-world for some wipers that I used to see that had these like louvers on them meant to hold the wipers down on the glass better. I even went to O'Reilly auto parts and they had never heard of what I am talking about. You have to remember that I am 54 and have been driving since I was 15. Ana started driving a tow truck at 16. I put on at least a million miles or more most likely trans-versing this country of ours many many times. So I have seen lots and lots of wiper styles come and go, so this louvered style may have been a long time ago.

So I figured that I would just go with what I had, besides how bad could it really be, they clean everything when they go to the left. Well no sooner than I get a little ways out of town it really starts coming down, and I can't see worth beans unless I am sitting out of my normal spot and that is not going to last long at all. I pull under an overpass and get out to see what I can do. Well I pulled it off and put it back on, then bent the arm down a little. Back in the car and when I get up to around 75, I turn on the wipers and the drivers side launches like a rocket going backwards. I am watching it in slow motion flying towards a car, luckily it did not hit the car. So wiper gone and it is like 20 miles or so to the next town, so with my head out the window like a dog I proceed. Sorry if this is a little long winded, but it is how I normally roll, as I want to get all the little details in so that I have explained myself completely. Plus there are always some funny little things that happen to me all the time and I like to share them.

Auto store and a brand new most expensive wiper they have (another Rain-X) and this time I let the clerk in the store go and install it. I have never done that in my life and I have changed a lot of wiper blades on work vehicles, my vehicles, family and friends and I have worked as a State Vehicle Inspector on a several occasion and in that position you change lots, and lots of wiper blades. What I am trying to get at, is that I really know how to install wiper blades and cannot for the life of me understand why that one took off like it was fired from a scud launcher. So wiper installed and back out to the interstate. Well backing out of the parking lot everything looked fine so it must be good to go. (although that was just a light mist) Out on the interstate and at about 75 (by the way the speed limit on that stretch of road, not 85 like most) (hey what can I say, it's Texas) Rain starts up and increases to where I have to turn the wipers on, (wait for it).... The damn plate size puddle on the wipers return trip across the glass is there. absolutely no change what so ever.

I was in basically heavy rain all day from Mathis Texas to Bowie Texas which is right up within spitting distance from Oklahoma. Well, I shut down for the day and get a hotel room and have some delivered food, a shower and called an early night. Next morning bright an early around 6am I hit the road and it is still raining hard. It rained almost all the way across Oklahoma too. And I put up with the see me, see me not wiper game all the way just like the day before. Thank God it finally stopped raining and did not rain again till after I reached my destination. YEAH!!!

Now the Aveo did a great job on the trip by the way. I still have not calculated the mileage and total fuel costs but I do not think that I spent over a hundred dollars on fuel for almost right at a thousand mile trip. At the most maybe around one twenty five I am sure not more than that. Was using Mr. Capital One (Yeah it was in my pocket) So I really was not paying attention, I was writing down the trip gauge mileage, the total cost of fuel and the gallons that I put in the tank. But I was not thinking about any totals as I was not pulling the cash out of my pocket. So I have all the all the data, I have just not got around to tallying it. Heck it is vacation and I am spending a lot of time with my grandson Kyle. And I brought my PS2, PSP, PS Vita and lots of games. My son's roommate is loaning me his PS3 while I am here. And I now have a PS4 that my Son and Daughter-in-Law gave me YEAH!!! I have my own room down in the basement a 55inch 4K right at the foot of my bed to use as my gaming TV. It's pretty sweet LOL It reminds me of sitting in the front row of the theater.

Oh back to the Aveo (I also have ADHD if you had not already noticed. ooh butterfly) I have never owned a little car let alone taken a trip in one. Did not even like having to ride in them on the weird occasion that I was riding with someone. I do not know if that has to do with 15 years of driving a tow truck and working with the police department and other law enforcement agency to assist them with impounds and all of the wrecks that occur. I have seen first hand way too many times what happens to little cars in accidents. The Aveo scores pretty good on the crash test stuff, so I did not feel quite as bad, but I was still leery of driving it, especially on a trip this long. I have always owned full size trucks and vans till taking possession of my Dad's Dakota and it took a while to get used to that and it is considered a mid-size.

The ride was no where as bad as I thought it would be. I did not feel beat up at all after driving it all day. And it handled quite well except for the fact that my Son had just put on the cheapest tires that Wally-wold (Wal-mart) sells UGH! I am sure once I get some decent rubber on her that she will handle a whole lot better on the curves. Right now she pushes a bit and I can not get into the curves as much as I like to. I am one of those weirdos that speeds up going into corners LOL One weird thing about the ride up here, when I laid down at the hotel in Bowie I felt as if I was still moving down the road somehow. That feeling stayed with me most of the night. I have never ever experienced anything even remotely like it. The same happened when I laid down here in Kansas. Have you guys ever heard of anything like this? Is it just part of traveling a long distance in a small car.

All in all a great trip, and I am not worried about the return trip once I fix some kind of problem shes developed up here after a couple 70 mile round trip runs to Wally world. (Yeah, it is that far to the nearest Wal-mart, my super center back home is under 5 minuets. I have a hard time imagining having to drive 30 miles one way every time you want something from Wally world) She popped up the check engine light. It may have come on when I started out on this trip (the second one) but I did not see the check engine light because my hat was in the way. She was running kind of rough when I started her up and during the trip to the store, but I really did not know what was wrong, but I figured I would check it out once I got back to my Son's place. Well next to the Wal-mart was a O'Reily auto parts store, and they will read your check engine for the codes that tripped the light free. Well it was about the coolant not running hot enough. I had noticed that the gauge did not go as high as normal, but thought it may be something to do with being up here at a different elevation and the outside temperature being so different from home. Well, I guess there were three codes, and she said that they were all about the same thing, coolant not hot enough. Like a dummy I did not write down the codes, or have her go in and do the print out thing that they normally do. I just wanted to get back to the house and sleep. I have looked through the forum here about the topic, and I am going to swap out the thermostat since it an easy and cheap fix. If it fixes the problem great, if not it is under the car to find, and most likely have to replace the sensor.

I am happy that the news letter thingy showed up in my email today, and this windshield topic was one of them on the list. When I get back home to South Texas I am going to get with my neighbor and have him replace the windshield with a new one, and hopefully it will not have the same defect. I do not want to spend the rest of this little cars life looking through a plate sized puddle every time it rains. So thanks to all of y'all that have been a part of this thread, as now I know that I am not crazy (well that may not be true) and that there is an issue with my windshield, and mine is not one of a kind it has happened to others as well.

Well I guess for a first post, or I think it is a first post either way it is a doozy I hope you enjoyed my little novel.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to XcntrK For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (11-09-2018)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hi.
      Sorry, but are you in a state that replaces windshields for free with insurance? And your going to get a new one that way? OR are you going to buy some Cerium Oxide to try and polish that area on your windshield?? I read your entire letter...and i dont know what is going on.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      Hi.
      Sorry, but are you in a state that replaces windshields for free with insurance? And your going to get a new one that way? OR are you going to buy some Cerium Oxide to try and polish that area on your windshield?? I read your entire letter...and i dont know what is going on.
      Sorry thought I explained that in the last paragraph. When I return to Texas I am going to contact my neighbor the auto glass installer, and explain to him the problem. I thought it would not be to hard anyway since it is my neighbor, and he has taken care of me for years. It will just be easier when I am able to reference this thread about the same issue having occurred with other Aveo windshields in the past, not just mine. The whole polishing thing did not sound like it worked, only made things worse, so I would not try that.

I was just really relived when I found this thread because I was not really sure what the problem with mine was, or if I was just nuts to think that a windshield would have a plate sized, well basically a dip in it.

I have never heard of this Cerium Oxide or polishing your windshield. If it helps as much as you say, I might try it on the new windshield when I get it and it has no defects. I know that I am always cleaning my windshield and one of the first things I repaired when I go the car was to put a new fluid jug and two new pumps for the window squirter. I use that thing every time I use the car. I always have a couple of windshield cleaner jugs on standby in case I run out.

Thanks again fro sharing about your problem with your windshield.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      Hi xcntrk, I also have have windscreen issues, see my topic in "Similar Threads" below:
      https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f83/...n-glass-21694/
      Would you be able to post the DOT Number or a photo of the data on the current and the new windshield?
      Thanks, George
      Last edited by gclark8; 12-21-2018 at 02:05 AM.
      no image

Thanks
      Good day mate,

Sorry George I could not resist. Over the last few years I have made a few friends in Australia and spend some time talking with them on Skype and go tin the habit of using their verbage to communicate with them, a little out of practice now though. SOrt of been adopted by a couple of them, even a Kiwi or two, Oh I know some don't care for that word but my buddy Alex thinks its neat and that other islanders should adopt it and use it always even for each other. I have even been offered sponsorship. Oh how I love to take em up on it. I have always wanted to live there, but living on disability does not allow for travel.

In answer toy our question yes I can get a pic and post it here so you can check it out. I will try to get it tomorrow if I can get all the snow off of the poor thing LOL Should not be a problem at all. Take care and have a great evening

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by XcntrK View Post
      G'day Mate,

Sorry George, I could not resist. Over the last few years I have made a few friends in Australia and spend some time talking with them on Skype and got in the habit of using their verbage to communicate with them, a little out of practice now though. Sort of been adopted by a couple of them, even a Kiwi or two. Oh I know some don't care for that word, but my buddy Alex thinks its neat and that other islanders should adopt it and use it always, even for each other. I have even been offered sponsorship. Oh how I love to take them up on it. I have always wanted to live there, but living on disability does not allow for travel.

In answer to your question, yes I can get a pic and post it here so you can check it out. I will try to get it tomorrow if I can get all the snow off of the poor thing, LOL. Should not be a problem at all. Take care and have a great evening .
      Hi XcntrK,

Thanks for the nice cultrual comments, maybe a lottery win can finance a trip Down Under.
      How did you go with a photo of the new windscreen and DOT Number?
      cheers George

Edit: This post may give you another Aussie word to add to your new vocabulary:
      https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...0&id=734067299
      Last edited by gclark8; 11-30-2018 at 07:23 PM.
      no image

Thanks
      Howdy gclark8

Sorry I am so blasted slow in responding to you and to this thread. I just got back to Corpus a few days ago. I fell up in Kansas and cracked a bunch of ribs. I was supposed to be back here the day after our Thanksgiving, which was last month. Now the ribs are better but not healed up yet. Healing faster as I am not having to get up and out of bed on the same side that the cracked and broken ribs are like I did up in Kansas.

I had to go up and get a state safety inspection and that reminded me of taking the picture. We used to have a little window sticker for passing the inspection which was good for a year. Now we don't it is all computerized but it reminded me as I was a state inspector a couple times in my life. Well, here is the picture, I hope it has some information that you can use as it is all Greek to me. I will get a hold of my neighbor after the beginning of the New Year as I do not want to bother him around the holidays. After I find out what he wants to do I will let y'all know. Hopefully this is not something he has never heard of and we can just get the glass changed right away without any hassles. I would hate to have to argue with my friend, but I really do not think that is going to happened he is a really good guy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
      Thank you for the reply, Health is much more important than car trivia.

I am trying to keep track of what is available in the windscreen department without any on-going vision issues .

Your Windshield, with DOT Number DOT459, comes from China: DOT number search: DOT Number Database
      DOT459, FUJIAN YANHUA GLASS INDUSTRY, CO., LTD. HONGLU TOWN, CHINA.

This is the first one I have recorded from China, lets see how it goes.

I believe, after the VIN number, the DOT number is the second most important piece of data if buying a car, particularly if you have vision issues like I do.

Thanks again,
      cheers George

no image

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123