•  

Thread: What to use to remove glue from door edges

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

What to use to remove glue from door edges

I know this is probably a simple answer, but I cant figure it out. I have had the black door edge guards on my car, you know, the long thin strips of black rubber that go on the edge of the door, to prevent from dinging the door edges. prevent chipping. It has a glue strip on it to attach it to the car.
      Well it is now almost 10 years and they need to be replaced, because the glue has come out a bit and collected dirt/grime, etc... and looks pretty bad.
      I don't know how to remove the glue residue without ruining the paint. Does anyone know what I can use to get rid of the glue residue and NOT ruin the paint? And make it nice and clean again, to put new guards on the edges again? Thanks.

Name:  car pics 020.JPG
Views: 1700
Size:  208.2 KBName:  car pics 027.JPG
Views: 1716
Size:  176.8 KBName:  car pics 025.JPG
Views: 1929
Size:  194.4 KBName:  car pics 025.JPG
Views: 1929
Size:  194.4 KB

Last edited by FlaAveo5; 01-14-2016 at 01:43 AM. Reason: add pics

Thanks
      Have you tried goo gone? It'll take a little elbow grease, but thats what I've used.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (01-15-2016)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      No i have not tried anything. I dont want to ruin the paint. So i havent tried to remove them yet. Everything I can think of to use, would ruin the paint,...like paint thinner or nail polish remover. I was thinking of WD-40, but dont know if it will work. I want to clean it up, and then replace it all, with new. All this black gunk/dirt/glue that has collected over the years is so thick, inside the door and on the outside, making the car look 'messy'. Even after I detail it to death!
      So...thats why i am asking for ideas of what wont hurt the paint. Or 'soften' the paint. I have used alcohol on small amounts of residue from stickers, but it seems to still leave residue no matter how much I use. So I dont think that would work. Didnt think of "Goo Be Gone". I'll have to go look at the label in a store and see what it says.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      If you can find someone with a can of it, look for "AeroKroil" - usually expensive (I just bought a case of 12 cans for $150, if that gives you any idea), but the stuff works great for removing just about anything (including sharpie marker). Leaves an oil residue, but that's easily washed off.

Mineral spirits or alcohol shouldn't damage the paint unless it's a recent paint job or really crappy paint - as long as you don't leave it on there for an extended time.

If I were doing this job now, I'd use a hair dryer or heat gun to help soften the adhesive so it will remove as much as possible - since you likely aren't suffering from single-digit temperatures, you may be able to get away with leaving it in the sun for a while (BTW, want any snow? I'll send you some....).

Another option is hitting up the local pharmacy and asking for "TacAway" or "UniSolve" - these are small wipes (think an alcohol swab) that are designed for removing adhesive from skin - I use them all the time for my insulin pump stuff; I would think if they aren't dissolving my flesh, they should work for paint as well. Probably run you 10-12 bucks for a box of them, but might be worth a shot?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jimzdat For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (01-15-2016)