•  

Thread: What To Use To Remove Adhesive From The Door Edge Guards? (A Repeat)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Question What To Use To Remove Adhesive From The Door Edge Guards? (A Repeat)

Sorry, this is a repeat post. I saw my old post on here for this. But don't see a way to bring it up to the 'front of the line' so I get an answer.
      I never got around to replacing my door edge guards 4 years back. I got the noticeable glue residue off the doors with I think 'Goo B Gone'. BUT now it is time do remove them totally and replace. I need to clean up the doors inside and out on the edges. But it is caked with all that glue residue and dirt and wax,etc...
      Ok..simple question. Will 'spray brake cleaner' destroy my paint??

I tried a few drop of it on a cloth to remove some glue off the rocker panel and it came right off! BUT something tells me that this stuff is NOT suppose to touch paint.
      Is that right? There is SO much old glue,etc... it will take hours of rubbing to get them clean with like 'Goo B Gone'.
      So can I use the brake cleaner, or will that eat the paint? If so, what is stronger than 'Goo B Gone', that wont eat the paint?

Thanks.

What do you mean there's no turbo? gclark8's Avatar
      Thanks
      For getting most things off paint I use Eucalyptus Oil. For road tar, Kerosene on a rag and wash that off after with normal car wash suds.

Edit: I buy both from my local supermarket. Eucalyptus Oil in a 100ml or 200ml bottle and Kero in a 750ml bottle.
      Last edited by gclark8; 04-16-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: size
      no image

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gclark8 For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (04-16-2019)

Thanks
      where do you get either in SMALL amounts? Not gallons? Eucalyptus oil sounds like a organic/home remedy that will take hours of soaking on the door, then hrs.of rubbing to get anything off the paint. No??

Thanks
      I use goo gone. Its a citrus based adhesive remover and works pretty well IMO.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

gclark8 (04-18-2019)

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      regardless of what you pick, put a small amount on a rag and rub somewhere inconspicuous to see if it removes paint.

3m adhesive remover comes in a qt.. that is what I use if not using an eraser wheel. If you use it, wear gloves. No matter what you choose the florida heat has made that glue nearly permanent.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to petrified.rabbit For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (04-22-2019)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      regardless of what you pick, put a small amount on a rag and rub somewhere inconspicuous to see if it removes paint.

3m adhesive remover comes in a qt.. that is what I use if not using an eraser wheel. If you use it, wear gloves. No matter what you choose the florida heat has made that glue nearly permanent.
      What Rabbit said, small amounts.  
      and maybe even tape off areas you don't need/Want the stuff.  
      Used Goo-Gone(which is not extraordinarily strong) to remove the decals on my motorcycle, and without realizing it, I had rubbed right through the clear coat. 
      I have used goo-gone on my aveo without issue, but i was more careful at that time. 
      Had to redo the door bumpers on my truck. I taped offf the area around the bumpers, so the paint not under the bumper, didn't get any extra wear. I used 3M Adhesive remover and it seemed to work pretty well.

Patience and Lighting are your friend

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LateOutDrsMn For This Useful Post:

FlaAveo5 (04-22-2019)

Thanks
      Where do i get that 3M adhesive remover??? IF the glue is permanent, I am kind of screwed, but it is the 'gunk',like glue/wax/dirt that has caked up on the edge of the guards that I am trying to get off. The glue under the guards that is on the doors/paint is ok. I am putting the same things back on, so what it looks like under the edge guards is not a problem.

It is the YEARS of all the dirt/wax/and glue that leaked out, that I am trying to clean off. Then put on NEW rubber edge guards. I see there is blue colored rubber edge guard now, that would match & look better.