•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking off the front bumper

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Taking off the front bumper

So im going to be doing some custom work to my stock foglights (retrofitting projectors into them), and Its going to be a lot easier if i take the whole bumber off (more room to work with and for aiming and installing purposes).

Is it pretty straight forward? Like just unscrew it and remove? Anything improtant I should know?

I plan on doing this Friday (if time permits otherwise its the next day off), so any help would be GREAT!

Thanks.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Well yea it takes some work with all the screws but a guy with some experience could do it on his own in an hour or two, but it's kind of alot of work...

I am assuming foglights on an aveo are the little ones on the bottom left and right of the front bumper, just in front of the front wheels, right? If so then I got a possibly easier method to get at them for you.

You first might want to take the front wheels off, (not *required* but it helps if you don't want to try working around them).

Then unscrew the wheel well plastic moldings, there are 3 screws, one on the inside of the wheel well on the bottom, and 2 on the bottom of the bumper on each side, then just pull back the plastic. On the right side you can then see the air intake water trap and sound muffler, you don't have to take it off but it gives you a little more performance and better sound.

You can then see the foglight housings and their screws, but unfortunately the front bumper frame is in the way and is a little difficult to reach, but not impossible.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Thanks
      does it really take that long to take off a bumper?

it is tricky trying to mess with the fog lights the way you described it, I tried.

Without air tools and working over your head, it could. Bumber bolts are a pain, and then it's a 2 person job to get the bumper back on, unless you like punishment.

Thanks
      dang, I guess I'll try the way G0ast said to try.

I just really wish I could just take the whole bumper off.... It would be SO MUCH easier.

Thanks
      Well I was looking for how-to's on how to remove the front bumper (for other cars) and I found one on a Mazda 6 forum. This is how many other how-to's tell you to do it.

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?...d=37&Itemid=49

So I actually think I'll take the bumper off (or try to). It doesnt look to hard now. But ill let you guys now how hard it really is. And hopefully I'll get my Foglights done tomorrow too!

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xstevex
      Well I was looking for how-to's on how to remove the front bumper (for other cars) and I found one on a Mazda 6 forum. This is how many other how-to's tell you to do it.

So I actually think I'll take the bumper off (or try to). It doesnt look to hard now. But ill let you guys now how hard it really is. And hopefully I'll get my Foglights done tomorrow too!
      did you get the factory foglights? and if you did how much are they?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      Quote Originally Posted by xstevex

did you get the factory foglights? and if you did how much are they?
      Well, I got one off ebay for I dont remember how much (wasnt a lot), and the other from the dealer for I believe $90. So they were like $120 for the pair.

BUT, before National Autoparts Distributors shut down to move warehouses (I found this after I bought the Foglights) They were selling them for $45 a side. The only thing now is that they stopped carrying Chevy parts for a while. I just checked and they still arent carrying them.

So as of right now the only place i know where you can get them is from the dealer (stealer) for $90 a piece.

Thanks
      Well, I am retro-fitting as we speak!
      I hope to be done with it later on tonight. Ill show the out come.

All I really had to do was take out some bolts near the wheel well and under neath the bumper and i could pull the bumper out well beyond far enough.

I really didnt need any special tools other than a screw driver and some sockets.

Super easy.

Thanks
      here is the second side that I did today.

I pretty much just have to seal them up (the lens and the back)

I think it turned out pretty good.
      The chrome on these fog lights suck so bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast