•  

Thread: loss of visibility

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

loss of visibility

hey im new to the forum and have got some good ideas of customizing my Aveo. i was thinking of painting the headlights, and was wondering if anybody that has done it, do u lose any visibility? i know not to paint where the bulb sits, but just seeing if the other mirror pieces actually help with visibility or just used to take space up in the headlight assembly.
      thanks.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      no, the bezel does nothing to reflect the light. just used to make a finished look to the headlight.

painting the bezel is very popular... not many aveos have done it, but many people do it.

do you know how to open the lights?
      if you need help i can help you i have done it a few times (aveo headlight specifically).

Thanks
      I've done it and yes it does get rid of some visibility... sure looks good though

Thanks
      Headlights like the Aveo are "projector" type headlights, where the lightbulb reflects it's light from mirrors to make a bigger light beam, the light reflects off the back of the headlight.

You can paint the top, and all of the bottom of the bezel and headlight since that lights reflects either up or down, the most important part of the bezel are the sides which project the light out.
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by g0ast
      Headlights like the Aveo are "projector" type headlights, where the lightbulb reflects it's light from mirrors to make a bigger light beam, the light reflects off the back of the headlight.

You can paint the top, and all of the bottom of the bezel and headlight since that lights reflects either up or down, the most important part of the bezel are the sides which project the light out.
      I think you mean reflector instead of projector

Thanks
      thanks for the replies,
      xstevex i saw the post of how to open the headlights so thanks anyways.

since i got good replies im thinking of doing this since im home for a week from school so its a perfect time to get some mods done, oo and what type of paint should i use, should i use a primer coat first, just wondering before i go out and buy stuff

Thanks
      I would use an adhesion promotor (meijer/walmart.... depending where you live), black/dark grey primer, color (flat or gloss), and clear if you want to.

but definitly start with an adhesion promotor. that will make the paint stick to the plastic bezel.

and i doubt its really going to make it dimmer. its not like the light beam on the stock aveo lights is that wide to use the rest of the headlight. i bet its all in you head. I would not paint the inner lip right around the reflector though... like leave a chrome ring around the reflector.

Thanks
      oh and if you are concerned about a headlight leak, buy "seal-all"

and run a bead around where there may be a leak otherwise youll get moisture, and the headlight will become all hazy on the inside. then youll have to open them up again to clean them. so when you close them up, look and pay real attention to the seam.

Thanks
      ok, cool thanks a lot, i'll post pics when i get them done