•  

Thread: LED Headlight selection

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

LED Headlight selection

so this is a year's worth of headlights in my 07 aveo5. Give or take. might be 14 months. but meh. Rediculous.

anyone hhavingany luck with a LED retrofit kit? i see some stuff out there but dont know whats good and whats crap.

i drive a lot (3k miles a month average) so i'm pretty sure its the DRL thats killing the life on them.

i would (ideally) like a setup that includes a regular and brights option and a separate DRL, either a halo or a bar. quality of the product is more important than the particular layout of the DRL. i'm just tired of replacing headlamps every 4-5 months.

ideally i'd like this to be as close to a drop in swap as possible, other than of course having to play rainbow spaghetti with the wiring. I do not want to DYI something into my current housings unless i absolutely have to.

Last edited by plant.one; 01-14-2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Getting ready to do a review and wiring of the Spec D projector headlights. I too am very interested in LED head Lamps and would like to do know more about those.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      to plant.one: the problem with the DRL in the aveo is that it runs to the main bulbs. You can't run a different or additional bulb and make it work as it uses the headlight bulb wiring throughout most of the harness. Its the "cut voltage" that damages the light.

Simply disabling the DRL will make the bulbs last. It was my first mod maybe 5 hours into owning the car, and in 6 years I've only replaced the bulbs once about a year ago. So about 5 years out of the original bulbs.]

LED I am not 100% sure will be "dim-able" in car form. I have seen they require a special bulb for household use to have a dimming led light. I am doubtful that will be in car headlights, so I am unsure what that means other than they will be the "same" brightness regardless of voltage.. and I do not know if that will put a strain on the bulb like the filament does.

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      you aren't going to find a suitable headlight led for an aveo. It's taken millions of research for audi and the germans to come up with an led that can actually illuminate the road. So please don't buy some cheap $40 led headlight off ebay and think it will work.

PS, sylvania even says their ultra bulbs do not last even half as long as stock bulbs. They sacrifice longevity for brightness. Furthermore, if you read the package, they guarantee the bulbs for a year so instead of buying new bulbs every 4 months, contact them and get a free replacement set. That's what I did.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      as the old adage goes: The Light that Burns Twice as Bright, Burns Half as Long.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      i have no intention of hoping a $40 bulb off fleabay would fix my issue. thats not what i was looking for. not even close.

re the warranty, its great - if i had my receipts. they have a habit of going their own way around here hah.

as for the lamps being dimmable -i wasn't even close to thinking about home LED stuff - i was wondering if someone made like a led setup with two array's in them - one that wired into the regular beam wire, one that wired into the high beam wire type of thing. and the home dimmable stuff has nothing to do with the diode itself, its the electronic drivers that run it that control the LED that make it dimmable. I know its possible - we use them in the aquarium industry for dawn/dusk & storm simulations over reefs

re: DRL disable, didn't see a thread on that on this forum? i'd be interested in tackling that if its not too crazy, but couldn't find any info on it in the exterior forum here. care to share how its done or a link to a how-to?