•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: frustrated with HID's!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

frustrated with HID's!

Im so frustrated, I joined the forum. Im a huge care guy and have had at least 4 HiD kits and never had a problem. I bought my girlfriend HID's for her 09 Aveo sedan.
      I installed them and the flickered. Then they ran for 1 minute and shut off. They're low beam only. Can anyone help? The power/ground is plugged into the cars bulb socket. Any help would be appreciated!
      I removed the DRL fuse and that didnt help

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i hear 1 in 5 hid kits are junk?

did you test to see if the regular bulbs still work? are you competent of the wiring your did or that the harness you purchased is not faulty?

Thanks
      I plugged her halogens back in tonight so she could go tobwork and they're fine. Ive hooked up many kits and am positive theyre hooked up correctly

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      maybe you needed a relayed kit because the draw for the ballast is more than the aveo offers.

Thanks
      I have a 07 Aveo and I bought hids for mine as we'll... Mine flicker when I have the drl on..... So I must always have the lights ON or else they will flicker!! That may solve your problem

Thanks
      it is definitely the relay. HIDs work much different then halogens thus being the reason why they aren't plug and playable. also, projectors would probably be a good thing to add, just because of the glare factor. no one likes to be blinded.

also, its a chemical reaction. after relay is instaled dont expect them both to come on with the start of the car if they are already switched to "night mode". when you start your car, accesories is first and that gives them power if on, then when you crank it further for some reason car losses power long enough to shut them off which, (turning them on and fast is hard on them.) in most cases causes only one of the two to come on. sometimes they both won't.

Thanks
      But if you buy the projectors from ebay with the 2 lights and the strip...... Those do not fit hids!

Cool Dude.
      Thanks
      Those actually do fit HIDs. Its not recommended, because they did no testing for the heat, but I've been using mine with HIDs for years now, no problem. That being said, you should always follow warning labels.
      If you're using cheap ebay HIDs, which is nothing to be ashamed of, I would try a different set. In my experience, both the ballasts and the bulbs can be unreliable.
      There is a thread on the site that shows how to disable the DRLs by unplugging a box under the dash, maybe that method will give better results, but I doubt it.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      i have recently learned to stay away from ebay hid kits. worked for a week and burned a bulb out. vvme ftw

Thanks
      You know I've noticed the ebay kits have really dropped off the last couple years. I have had a set in my GTO for 4+ years... ordered a kit for the aveo, maybe they lasted about a year.

I went back to regular bulbs for the Aveo. I did though just install those SilverStar zXe "HID" in bulb form in my wifes cruze.. and they are really nice.

The DD: 2011 Aveo5 LT
      The Race Car: 2004 Pontiac GTO 383 Stroker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast