•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exterior Repaint.......Worth It?

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks

Exterior Repaint.......Worth It?

Hi. I couldn't find any posts about anyone repainting their Aveo. At 7 years old, my light metallic blue is looking TO light. It's not peeling, not chipping off, not damaged, it just looks less bright. The clearcoat is intact and I keep it nice and shiny/waxed, but I am thinking of getting a repaint job. Same color. BUT should I go to my Chevy dealer? They are usually the most expensive, I am sure, but the tiny amount of repaint I had redone years ago, when I had minor damage on my rear bumper, they said it has a lifetime warranty if it fades, flakes or does anything like that. So...would going to the dealer be the best option for a new same color repaint, or should I go hunting to auto painting companies for a competitve price? OR.......

Can the clearcoat be be 'resprayed' to make it brighter? If the current clearcoat is on tight, not peeling, not chipping. Is that possible? And just make it look much shinier, I know it won't bring back the original color, but wouldn't it make it showroom shiny again? Has anyone done this? can this be done, I would think it would cost a lot less than repaint. Not the original deeper color, but it would be shiner and the current clearcoat is still in perfect shape,but I know it is duller than new.....so would a respray be possible, or is that just dumb?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Plastidip it, I did mine and love it. Do a good clean, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and spray. I bought the red tips on their site and the "can gun". 16 cans, and I sprayed 8-9 coats per body panel, oh yeah, avoid direct sunlight, my cost was about $165

Thanks
      I have never heard of this....is it a product called Plastidip? Where do you buy it? If I tried to spray paint my car, I see drips and streak in my future. Unless this product doesn't do that????

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      If your clearcoat is still intact you may want to visit a professional detailer instead who might may be able to restore the shine back to your car or ask their personal opinion if it needs to be repainted.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Man View Post
      Plastidip it, I did mine and love it. Do a good clean, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and spray. I bought the red tips on their site and the "can gun". 16 cans, and I sprayed 8-9 coats per body panel, oh yeah, avoid direct sunlight, my cost was about $165
      Isn't plastidip not permanent and eventually peel off? If it is seems like a waste of time.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Yeah but it's cheap, that's why.

Thanks
      well my shine is very good but its 7years old, it isn't showroom shine. IF I repaint now is the time to do it. I have the money, but if I could get the shine back ,at much less $$$ hey, I can use the money for the next huge repair! I looked up that Plastidip...it is repainting your car on your own, I don't have that talent or patience. One error and I would kick the car , then me!

Thanks
      Visit a detailer for their opinion as we can't see the shape your paint is in.

Thanks
      google plastidip , if done right u should get 2-3 years of worry free "paint" It is reversible as it does peel off, but it also acts as a "time capsule" for your OEM paint job, protecting it from road salt, flying pebbles and what not. To keep my original paint as well maintained as I can, Ill probably re dip it every year or every other year, flipping the color schemes around of course. Check out youtube or DIPYOURCAR.COM

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Gettin it detailed will more than likely not make your cars paint look any better. All it will do is restore a slick glossy look to your clear coat.the factory color under the clear has probably faded over time from the sun beatin down on it. A good way to check is to pull off a rubber seal off from around your door jam or anything that's not directly exposed to sunlight. If it faded the only real thing to do is get it resprayed color and clear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast