•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 sedan trunk wont open with key

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question 2004 sedan trunk wont open with key

Hello all, I have a 2004 Chevy aveo sedan and my trunk wont open with the key, the trunk opens with the pull by the driver seat and the little anti kidnap handle inside the trunk. I think i need a new key barrel, how can i get one made that will work with my key? Is there a easy way to get the key hole to work without having to buy a new part? Thanks

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I would pull the cover off (if it has one) and while the trunk is open, turn the key. See what happens.

You might have just broken on of the plastic clips that holds the end of the rod that connects the lock cylinder to the latch. Which is easy to do as the age and become brittle.

Thanks
      Mine doesn't have a cover and i looked, the rod is connected, I have pulled the bar and it moves, my key barrel seems to be the issue, is there a way to make it move because it seems to be seized.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by CookedTick View Post
      Mine doesn't have a cover and i looked, the rod is connected, I have pulled the bar and it moves, my key barrel seems to be the issue, is there a way to make it move because it seems to be seized.
      If you verified that all the connecting rods are in place as well as the clips then we need to look at the lock cylinder. When you insert the key does the cylinder rotate? If it does can you see the parts that connects all together moving freely? Of course you have to have the trunk or hatch open to see this. Now if there is something wrong with the lock cylinder you will able to find some on ebay, used of course. I recently bought a used 2005 Aveo that had 3 different keys! One for ignition, one for the driver's side door and a different one for the hatch and passenger side door. Hatchback lock cylinder would get stuck and had to giggle the key up and down as I turn the key so it can open the hatchback. I bought some used locks on ebay from a salvage yard, which had a key of it's own. That's 4 different keys if you're keeping count. What I did is got the key for the ignition and coded them to work for the rest of the lock cylinders. Now I have 1 key that starts the car and opens all the doors. This will require you to take the lock cylinder apart and removing the blades and moving them around to conform to the key you want to make it work. I did it myself and I never undertaken anything like that before and it worked. You will need patience when doing this. Now I can even make it work with my Dodge Caliber key too just for giggles haha.. One key that starts two different cars.. Now that's an interesting project. I kidd.. But it is possible and there are Youtube videos that show you how this process is done. You could also take it to a local locksmith which they can probably knock it out in one day. My local locksmith said they could do it for $75 for 3 locks. So $25 each lock cylinder. I saved my $75 and just did it myself one afternoon. Got it done!
      Last edited by jamesd; 06-20-2016 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
      The barrel is seized, I know it is the original barrel because the previous owner(my dad) bought the car certified pre owned and it used to work, and the trunk pops when i move the little connecting rod ( crawled in and tested it myself). Could a locksmith code the key for me, i dont want to take that task on. Im really hoping there is a way i can free the barrel using simple tools or some lubricant like graphite

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Yeah definitely a locksmith can do this. What it sounds to me is the one or two of the blades are not retracting when you insert the key. Maybe warped, damaged or something. What keeps the cylinder from turning are 5 blades that expand when you remove the key. It inserts itself into the groove of the cylinder preventing it from turning. Each blade has a spring that pushes it up. There could be a chance your local locksmith may have these blades and able to repair the lock cylinder. If not then you may have to by a used one and have your locksmith recode it to your working key. I hope this helps. Should be pretty cheap to do. Like I said the local guy here charges $25 per lock which is really nothing. But then again that's having the cylinder in your hand and bring it in. Not sure if they charge a little extra to do the removal of the cylinder, recode and reinstall. Shop around in your area. You may get a better deal.
      Last edited by jamesd; 06-20-2016 at 11:18 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesd For This Useful Post:

CookedTick (06-21-2016)

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I would remove the barrel, soak it in wd40 or pb blaster for 10 minutes or so, then try turning it, if it doesn't work, soak it some more. Eventually it will turn, Once you free it up, push out all the blaster with a lithium grease.. and then reinstall.

Thanks
      Ill try that later, will post pics if all goes well.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by CookedTick View Post
      Ill try that later, will post pics if all goes well.
      Any pics to this solution ? Just curious. I just bought a 2011 sedan and I have this issue as well. Any info would help. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
      Nothing happened, I don't even own the car anymore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast