•  
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: when to change auto transmission fluid 06 aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

when to change auto transmission fluid 06 aveo

Hiya,, curious been searching for a maitanance schedule for the tranny fluid but it is nonexistant. Talked to 2 dealerships they r just left guessing.. called GM customer no-service they don't have a clue.. anyone here know when to flush the tranny I got 28,000 miles and the flui d is a brown color..... Never had a car that never listed a service interval for tranny fluid.

Also, since there is no interval given on fluid changes could that be a liability issue if the tranny goes out under warrenty? if you never change your fluid cause of no service interval listed and the dealer blames you for neglect for whatever reason. I see this as a possible issue.... Also how can brown tranny fluid be good circulating through your trannny? please help dazed and confused lol

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Re: when to change auto transmission fluid 06 aveo

i was told that u shouldnt have to change the tranny fluid in an aveo until u have 100,000 miles on it, but thats rediculous so what friends and have said every 40-50,000 miles

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

On all the vehicles I've ever owned I drop the transmission pan and change the filter every 30000 miles. It ends up changing about half of the fluid capacity each time.
      2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS sedan - 13,230 miles
      2008 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4.0L V6 - 34,920 miles
      2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2L I6- 95,870 miles

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I had that same problem.

What I've learned is it's apparently not "required" because the fluid they use is good sh*t, it technically could last the life of the car but I wouldn't trust a fluid that much...

But it's "ok" to do it every 90k or so (too bad I didn't know, I tried doing it at 30k lol), the type you use is pretty much any brand as long as it says ATF Type IV, it's the standard in GM and Toyota cars and they share the same recipie cause Toyota developed it. So even if the Aveo is a GM car, the Toyota ATF Type IV is good to use. If you're looking for specifics the part number is #88900925

But watch out, it's ridiculously expensive and wasteful... It's a little under $15 a quart, and you'll need about 8 to 11 qts. (1-2 qts will be wasted in the flushing process alone).

As for what to look for, the flushing process DOES NOT INCLUDE A DUMP, that is just a fluid swap that uses about 3 qts but doesn't flush most of it out because the engine needs to be running to flush out the last 5-6 qts from the torque convertor, what you're looking for is a machine that's kinda like a transfusion machine, where you pour in the good stuff in one tank in the machine, attach a hose to the feed line, and have the engine pump out the bad stuff in another tank on it's own in idle while at the same time pumping in the good stuff.

In the end I payed about $250 for the fluid and labor, it's something I won't do again for a long long time
      "If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Thanks

Re: when to change auto transmission fluid on 2007 aveo

I just happened to check my transmission fluid dipstick. The color of the transmission fluid was BROWN (resembling somewhat used ENGINE OIL). This car is a 2007 with only 20,000 miles on it purchased just 1 year ago. I am quite concerned about it. I have always heard as a general rule that transmission fluid should be a LIGHT CHERRY RED in color. If it is BROWN, then maybe something is burning the fluid, or tranny trouble is looming. I'm having the fluid changed. The transmission still shifts absolutely fine at present. However, just the fact that it turned brown at such a low mileage strikes me as a VERY NEGATIVE indication for the future. Has anyone had to replace the entire transmission due to failure, and, if so, at what odometer mileage did your transmission fail?

Thanks

Hi everyone. I wanted to put my 2cents worth. I contacted my local dealer and he suggested between every 30k-50k miles.
      My dealer uses Wynn full synthetic fluid. My research has shown that places like Pep Boys uses synthetic blend. Not sure what Firestone uses. But Wynn products are up there with Amsoil as far as quality goes.

Chris
      Some people are like slinkies, not much good for anything but sure do bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Aveo 2006 LS

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

just make sure that the fluid your dealership uses meets the GM requirements, if not the warranty will be voided.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

What kind of fluid does our autos take?
      GM 9986195
      GM Dexron
      GM Dexron-II
      GM Dexron-IID
      GM Dexron-IIIG
      GM Dexron-IIIH ?

Any, all, or none of the above?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

#88900925 - GM T-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog
      #88900925 - GM T-IV Automatic Transmission Fluid
      That's the OEM fluid though, I'm trying to find the aftermarket equal (specificly in the Royal Purple brand)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast