•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING ABOUT RAM AIR/COLD AIR!

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

WARNING ABOUT RAM AIR/COLD AIR!

Last summer, I bought a cheap air filter off of ebay and replaced it with my stock air filter hoping it would give me more power, which it did a little, however last November I got caught in a rain storm and kind of ran into a puddle, a big one, a real deep one about a foot deep, and somehow the intake sucked up some water and it got into my engine and completely locked up the pistons and got water stuck in the crankshaft and virtually everywhere else liquids are found in an engine, one week and $1000 later, my mechanic showed me a bucket with a little over 2 GALLONS of black, dirty, oily water in them, the guy said this was the worst water related engine problem he's ever seen and immediately pointed to the filter as the cause, the engine sucked up the water like a straw.

I quickly put the stock filter back on and never got the problem again, however what I just typed above was half of my warning, the other half of my warning is what he told me he found after the water was taken out, it was black soot, the soot was everywhere and it was brought in through the filter, because one it was a cheap filter and two there pretty much is very little actual filtration from microscopic particles.

My warning is don't get any filter until you know for a fact it can filter out just as much as your stock one can, if you have one of those filters now, get your engine checked, QUICK.

I'm not making any of this up, this is advice and a warning from one aveo owner to another.

"If I parked a T-72 tank in my back yard, aimed the cannon towards Mexico, and muttered something
      about protecting my village from an invasion, the police would show up and probably haul me away."

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2619314

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Well that's why you dont get cheap filters... yeah it sucks to get hyrdo locked but you usually dont have to worry about that with a WAI (warm air intake). I do know of some people that have done the same thing as you

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      dont have to worry with my CAI intake either, ive been thru puddle as deep as 1 ft or more

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      so in this instance do you guys believe the AEM by-pass valve would prevent this from happening?

btw g0ast-good posting

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      i live in so cal, it never rains! but thanks for the info, looks like ill have to buy one from aem to replace that cheap **** filter.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Happens with stock filters too

I once drove through a huge puddle with a 97 Chrysler Concorde V6 3.5L with a stock air filter. Seized the engine!

It’s more a lesson to drive threw huge puddles slow or avoid them all together rather then not change air filters. Although a cheap filter still is not a good filter.

is a 29.99 APC filter a "cheap" filter?

i compared to the others that were on shelf but it looked like it would work the best, its not one of those gay "steel mesh" filters

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      dont use cheap ebay filters....k&n ftw

cai/sri + fording rivers = youre a retard.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      You actually paid $30 for an APC filter? Ouch... You can get an AEM dryflow for that if you look around. I ditched my K&Ns for the dryflow. They flow a bit less, but filter better and don't need oiling.

the receipt said 30 but i bought some other stuff too. i think i saw AEM but im just gonna upgrade to CAI next time i think ill just pay the 200 lump sum and go ftw with AEM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast