•  
    Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: TurboTalk -1.6L 1st Gen w/ Intake Air Temperature & Manifold Ambient Pressure Control

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      wow, i just wrote an epic thought - it took too long, i refreshed the page, missed up the login, etc.

i shall have to re-create my original posts, nothing is lost, but we all miss our 'lost electronics' don't we

next time i will post why i 'appreciate this motor' nothing gained, nothing lost i hypothesize

Thanks
      This is why it will take years to accomplish my goal.. just got a raw shop, you know
      I forgot to say that the project is still feasible today, this laptop turbo idea.. and this is one stubborn mans word.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Last edited by northguest47; 08-10-2019 at 01:54 AM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Hey northguest so you wanna be able to have a labtop in the car? What windows format were you gonna run? I experimented with a bunch of combos and different formats. Best one I could come up with was a usb style hookup soldered into the ecu(took me about 5 aveo ecus to perfect lol) and running a windows xp service pack 2 was the best outcome. Also if you wanted something a bit more easier a canbus setup works but the read rate isnt as fast. For my turbo build I used my micro squirt piggyback unit, added a wideband gauge,2 bar map sensor from my old saab 9-3,actually slot of the turbo parts actually came from my old saab lol. I drew inspiration from the saab tritronic unit programming and combed through the code once I hacked the unit...(not easy trust me). And programmed the hp tuning microsquirt piggyback unit with full control of ignition table bin file,fuel table bin file, and added a turbo table bin program.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      D16/18 headers works great I went with d16 though, first turbo I did run was a t25 right from my 1999 saab 9-3 actually worked great. Turbo setup works great with 2.5" intercooler setup I run with a greddy wastegate with 8psi spring. And I use a recirculating bov.

Thanks
      The motor has 144 thousand miles on it.
      still no butt dyno drop in compression
      Last edited by northguest47; 09-06-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
      Hey Elangford65 - the 1999 Saab

Perhaps a few cars away can find some parts, perhaps its all new and behind schedule and over budget

Not givin' up on the 'ol '06

Thanks
      when you finish, maybe ill saved up enough to turbo this so people can leave me alone about it. LOL

Name:  20190901_073327.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  286.1 KB

Thanks
      call it audacity, it is still the cheapest way to achieve a good third gear roll-on

-typed this twice so here goes
      -car 'perfectly' skid rear ended a nice lexus at 'sub-airbag-speedola' soooo apart from the camber in the front bumper .... and 1800 bucks...
      -new spark plugs solved the 'hesitation sensation' at full load roll-ons.. my car had 'a bit of a cough/cold'
      -the muffler is hanging on well, it will last the winter
      -the e-brake cable broke and was 'just for now' fixed of course since the oem part is ridonculous
      -the seized hatch latch, shall we talk about that todaye
      -all these 'little' things about the car

power to weight
      Last edited by northguest47; 12-07-2019 at 05:41 AM.

Thanks
      Just went over the last few posts and forgot to answer recent questions! Here goes:

"Hey northguest so you wanna be able to have a labtop in the car?"

Yes, unless a dingle-berry pie can do the job in a smaller format... perhaps a second hand nuc and a tablet sshing into it?

"What windows format were you gonna run? I experimented with a bunch of combos and different formats. Best one I could come up with was a usb style hookup soldered into the ecu(took me about 5 aveo ecus to perfect lol) and running a windows xp service pack 2 was the best outcome."

Good to know, I happen to have a few isos of that 'somewhere'. But I'd give linux a go too if it worked. I have a legit netbook running windows 7 professional that could be re-purposed.

"Also if you wanted something a bit more easier a canbus setup works but the read rate isnt as fast. For my turbo build I used my micro squirt piggyback unit, added a wideband gauge,2 bar map sensor from my old saab 9-3,actually slot of the turbo parts actually came from my old saab lol. I drew inspiration from the saab tritronic unit programming and combed through the code once I hacked the unit...(not easy trust me). And programmed the hp tuning microsquirt piggyback unit with full control of ignition table bin file,fuel table bin file, and added a turbo table bin program.
      D16/18 headers works great I went with d16 though, first turbo I did run was a t25 right from my 1999 saab 9-3 actually worked great. Turbo setup works great with 2.5" intercooler setup I run with a greddy wastegate with 8psi spring. And I use a recirculating bov."

So awesome to read this - its great to hear how much work you have done here, why didn't you post something on your work? 06T200 was talking about stuff like this but you are taking it to the next level, as in you have done practical, repeatable methods.

The read rates, the read rates.. sounds like stock market spreadsheet talk.. but I 'think' I get what you are saying - in 'turboland', where all the data starts going logarithmic fast this sample rate would be very beneficial to be as small as possible for better 'resolution' so to speak on the tune. I always wondered if the control was done with tables, arrays, or spreadsheets so to speak, but if there was an auto-tune feature to at least get some start values, etc.

Elangford65, if you are interested, and same goes to everyone else posting or following this thread, when I get down to grinding and welding and showing pictures, and that is a long ways away still, but point being when I do, I hope you can continue to chime in on this build. It now appears my creating this thread has gathered quite a lot of knowledge, and so its time to admit the less commitment on my side, cutting, grinding, and welding. I only have the one car, so also a motorcycle has to be purchased in order to take the car off the road, as it is still to this day, my daily driver. So a few more puzzle pieces are needed to fit together the first chapter - to get this car to the garage. And thats just the way it is.
      Last edited by northguest47; 12-14-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Thanks
      I have something new to show for the thread - its the alignment report:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast