•  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turbo kit/ manifold ?

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      welding the flange to the manifold is easy.. cheap, and it works for the most part.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      For the most part? is there more info with that?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      well depending on how you want to position the turbo, the size of the turbo, and where the manifold will allow you to put it (nemasys is using a sump on his as the turbo sits very low in relation to the engine). you might have to deal with other issues. like the cost of his oil pump solution is about the price of a "real" modified manifold.

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      as rabbit said, a welded adapter will work but you will need somekind of system to help return the oil, it sits the turbo way too low no matter what you do

i went with one of the most expensive oil scavenge pumps at $229, there are way cheaper ones then that, but i decided to have a good pump, you dont want a cheap pump to fail while driving that could spell disaster for the turbo's seals

even with the price of the pump, its still about 1/2 the price of getting a one off custom turbo manifold made.
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yeah, this seems to be a big issue in going turbo... I have found most other parts, but I just cleaned several malicious software programs I picked up as a result of searching for anything relating to turbo exhaust manifolds... for a "real" modified manifold, like rabbit mentioned, are you talking about modifying the existing manifold, or one from another car? Any direction here would be much appreciated!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      what is your price range?

simply put, buy a exhaust manifold gasket, turned into a cad drawing, and get that cut. Then buy a matching exhaust flange for the turbo.. take those to a fabricator along with the car, and after @ $500 + (depending on who you go to, costs, how much you do on your own etc) you will have a "proper" manifold.

Thanks
      Ok, I re-read all the stuff about pumps just now... been busy! My price range is flexible, seeing as how the timeframe for the project is, as well! Ease is important... not work-wise, but I don't know of a fabricator right off, & I don't have a CAD program (Adobe Illustrator ). I was planning to go to the muffler/exhaust place (where I'll do the CAT-back work-used'em before) and just ASK how much it'd be. and if they could convert a factory manifold into a turbo... there's a race shop nearby that I hope can install the whole turbo setup, pump included (I may research doing some or all of it myself this winter) If I go that route, couldn't the higher flow headers that are for sale for our car be modified, for even better results? Then I could buy it when I have the cash... have it modified when I have $$$, and same for install. If I could find someone who had the specs already for a "proper" manifold, or had one to sell, I'd be willing to spend closer to a grand on this part (wouldn't have to buy a pump then, I take it. ; )

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i'm not sure you are talking about the manifold and pump (the turbo unit itself) as interchangeable? they are two separate parts..

imho. i would buy a cheap manifold (cast or tube) like these :

HONDA CIVIC T3 CAST IRON TURBO MANIFOLD D D15 D16 CRX | eBay

Honda Civic CRX Del Sol D15B D16Y Turbo Manifold | eBay

HONDA CIVIC CRX CAST IRON TURBO MANIFOLD D D15 D16 T3 | eBay

you would need to check widths, and flange configuration,etc before buying, which is as simple as matching up gaskets.. but then you either make a new flange (if going tube) or cut the flange on the stock manifold (for cast) and "mend" them together with a good welder. its relatively archaic, but someone here a long time ago fitted a d16 header to his aveo in the same fashion. So the d16 must be close enough to match up the tubes.. And your talking a <$100 turbo manifold, and a stock manifold (probably less that $50) and then $200-400 in fabrication (or less). So you can have a "proper" manifold for as little as $350.

Thanks
      Nice! Ok, I do understand they are separate parts; from what I understand, if I have a proper manifold made, I won't need a pump solution. Mainly because of this part you said here, rabbit
      "like the cost of his oil pump solution is about the price of a "real" modified manifold."
      Is that correct?
      So I need to get the gasket for a Chevy 08 Aveo... I've been to the muffler shop, where the guy seemed optimistic about being able to do the custom exhaust manifold there. So with the gasket, an extra Aveo manifold (for cast iron) and a turbo manifold similar to one of these (measurements as close as possible to existing holes)... that's about all I'd need to proceed with having a proper turbo manifold, right? Then I'd just need to piece together all the standard/universal parts for a turbo system, right? A couple of the other components I've looked at on ebay say they are universal...
      Last edited by Weirdo_Joe; 09-05-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      sounds like your about on track.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast