•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranny wont go in......ARGH!!!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Tranny wont go in......ARGH!!!

2008 aveo automatic sedan, blew the tranny in my wife's car. Found 53000 mile tranny from salvage yard with converter. Needed vin to verify correct tranny. Have tried four times to install, but with no luck. Tranny would bind by starter, pushing flexplate into block. Spun flexplate while tightening to make sure converter was seated. Twice did it with converter in tranny first, twice with tranny connected to flexplate. Last time with starter removed also. Tranny mounted flush, but flexplate still jammed.
      ASSUMING, correct tranny....what could be wrong? Or what may I have missed? I'm thinking converter is not fully seated, will take motor out and try to make them on my trailer/workbench. Going to try original tranny to see if that works. Any help, info or suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks ,Lenny.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Didn't you have another thread about this? did you try any of the solutions, answer any of those questions?

My thoughts, since you said you took the starter off and still have the issue. We can rule that out.

When the torque converter is connected to the fly wheel and the tranny is not installed yet, is it binding? torque convertors are typically "keyed" so if you don't line up the marks, then it it will warp the flywheel. they have tabs, or pins in them to set the timing, did you do that?

Thanks
      Thanks for your help, now and before. There were no real solutions offered, as I stated "flywheel" instead of flexplate. It was easier to start another thread, my apologies if it was wrong to do so. Theere were only three mounting lugs on the converter, no pins or keys. I will check again. My plan was to attach the original tranny and see if it binds. Im worried it could be the wrong tranny.
      Appreciate the input.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Lenny C View Post
      Thanks for your help, now and before. There were no real solutions offered, as I stated "flywheel" instead of flexplate. It was easier to start another thread, my apologies if it was wrong to do so. Theere were only three mounting lugs on the converter, no pins or keys. I will check again. My plan was to attach the original tranny and see if it binds. Im worried it could be the wrong tranny.
      Appreciate the input.
      what Rabbit meant was there are Keys or Slots machined into the Torque Converter where it goes onto the Input Shaft of the Transaxle, those slots usually are what drives the Transmission's Oil Pump.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      yes, the keys are on the shaft. the slots are usually around the circumference, to line the torque convertor to tdc. I have never ad a car that the torque converter could be put in in any direction, you always had to match it up.

Also on older cars, i think of a 70 dodge. a friend of mine put a tranny in and didn't line it up correctly and it just vibrated like crazy. We didn't even attempt to drive it. just realigned it to correct spots and it fixed the issue.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      did the new trans look like your old trans?

Thanks
      Yes it looks and seems exactly the same. When I changed my turbo 350 on my old impala, you had to spin the converter once u installed it in the tranny and make it "click". I spun it in the trans several times, afraid I didn't line up the "key". Will do it again, and
      make sure its in. Thanks again. lenny

Thanks
      For some reason, I cannot get the converter to fully seat into the tranny. The mounting lugs on the converter are almost flush with the tranny mounting flange. On the the motor side, the flexplate sits about a half inch past the tranny mounting flange. How do I get it in deeper? Oops, sound like my wife!!!lol.
      I have the old unit on the trailer, and have the same trouble. Is there a way to lock the output so I can spin the converter in?
      Thanks again for your help and time.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Lenny C View Post
      For some reason, I cannot get the converter to fully seat into the tranny. The mounting lugs on the converter are almost flush with the tranny mounting flange. On the the motor side, the flexplate sits about a half inch past the tranny mounting flange. How do I get it in deeper? Oops, sound like my wife!!!lol.
      I have the old unit on the trailer, and have the same trouble. Is there a way to lock the output so I can spin the converter in?
      Thanks again for your help and time.
      can you take some pictures and show us the Torque Converter and the Transmission Input Shaft? as well as pictures showing what you described in your last post?

Thanks
      I got it! Put tranny on its right side, converter up. Put converter in, spun it three times DROPPED right it, correctly. Thanks for all your help, just got to put it all together.........Lenny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast