•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing belt water pump co$t

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Timing belt water pump co$t

Hi I live in Canada 2 hrs from burlington vt I have an 05 Pontiac wave same thing as aveo. I have 44000 miles on it 71000km I want to get the timing belt water pump tensioner and idler pulpy done I was quoted $1000+ to hav it all done. I was hoping if I go to burlington and have the gm dealer there do it it would be cheaper. It's a great car I use amsoil 5w30 and I just got the car used it's like new. Can some one give me an idea of what a job like this in the us should cost me. I want to use oem parts I had a Honda civic 09 and it costed around $600 with new coolant water pump tenstioner and I had it done in Connecticut at the Honda dealer. It's just $1000 seams a bit much
      Thank you

Last edited by jasonlap; 01-02-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      your jumping the gun with 44k miles.. but even in oh canada i would expect it to be $600-700, eh.

check other garages/dealers

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Yeah, $1k is outrageous. OEM parts, including changing the serpentine belt while you're in there should come to $250. I'm guessing 2-3 hours for a GM tech to complete the service... $550ish, not including a dealer markup on parts? Where's the extra $450 going... it can't just be the parts.

I'm from the US, but the dollar amounts should be similar, the exchange rate is very close right now, nearly 1:1

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jasonlap View Post
      Hi I live in Canada 2 hrs from burlington vt I have an 05 Pontiac wave same thing as aveo. I have 44000 miles on it 71000km I want to get the timing belt water pump tensioner and idler pulpy done I was quoted $1000+ to hav it all done. I was hoping if I go to burlington and have the gm dealer there do it it would be cheaper. It's a great car I use amsoil 5w30 and I just got the car used it's like new. Can some one give me an idea of what a job like this in the us should cost me. I want to use oem parts I had a Honda civic 09 and it costed around $600 with new coolant water pump tenstioner and I had it done in Connecticut at the Honda dealer. It's just $1000 seams a bit much
      Thank you
      At $1000, I would definitely check around. I did mine roughly 3 months ago, I ordered a gates brand timing belt kit from rockauto.com for around $90, water pump from gm for about $100, drive belt from gm was about $30, and drive belt tensioner from gm was about $40. I did the work myself though so I had no labor cost, I just pulled my car in my bay at work one afternoon and it took me about 2 hours, i think a gm dealer would charge about 4hrs maybe 5 for waterpump too

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      When I did mine, I was living in Raleigh. I went to Car Quest ( Corporate Head Quarters are there) and bought their kit. Belt and tensioner was 132 total. I did the labor myself and it took me about 4 hours. I went slow as a screw up would be very expensive and I had never done this repair. I am sure an experienced mechanic can do this repair in two hours. At least I can do this in two hours now I that I know what I am doing. I don't really see a need to replace the water pump at 65K miles but I am planning to replace mine on the next timing belt change at 130K.

When I replace my pulley with the underdrive pulley it took me 30 mins tops. It's not a hard repair and I suggest doing it yourself.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      I would definitely recommend doing the waterpump while you're in there. The waterpump itself may not go bad at 60k, but the seal certainly can. It would suck to have to go through all that again, just because you have a coolant leak. I'd rather spend an extra $100 now, than have to pull it apart again earlier than the next belt change.

Thanks
      okay so just an update. i called the chevy dealer in Burlington and they wanted $973.00 tax in for this job. maybe im asking for to much to be done this quote was for.
      timing belt
      water pump
      tensioner
      idler pulley
      and superinteen belt

should i skip the idler pulley maybe that would save me some money. im going to call back again and see if i can get someone else to give me a quote without the idler pulley. i don’t know of a good mechanic. i do most of the stuff i can do myself i do myself like brakes oil change. spark plug s distributor cap rotor vacuum bleed brakes and more. but ive never done a timing belt before. ive changed a water pump on a chevy s10

thanks

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      avoid any dealers, and I would not skip the idler pulley, have you stopped at any smaller shops? Maybe it is just Canada lol

Thanks
      I would change everything you listed "just to be safe."

Can you get a labor only cost, and then see how much it would be if you bought the parts yourself?

Full disclosure: I've never done a timing belt, and I had the dealer do mine after my water pump started leaking... labor to get to the pump/belt was covered under warranty... so I had them do the timing service while they were in there. Was $300 parts/labor I had to cover.

I don't believe the timing belt job on this car is that difficult. It's just that you can cause a whole lot of damage if you jack up the timing.

Thanks
      okay thanks guys. i just got the car a few weeks ago and with 43k miles on it how hard would it be to just check the belt myself do i have to undo a bunch of stuff? it's the 1.6L etech engine? ill change the surpenteen belt myself i see cracks in that already. but to inspect the timming belt can you give me an idea of how i can do that. thanks
      Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast