•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt Tensioner

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Timing Belt Tensioner

How inportant is it to change the tensioner when you do your first timing belt change?

When I bought my 2004 Aveo it had 97000 Km on it and I got the timing belt changed right away because the previous owner had it for about a year and had no idea it had to be changed. He would of been in for a surprise if he would of kept it and the belt would of broke!

So I got it done at a shop because I wasn't familiar with timing belts and read a few horror stories about them when they break. I knew enough that the tensioner should also be changed ( so they recomend) while the belt was being done. So I asked the mechanic to change it as well but he insisted he would inspect it and make sure it was good. I argued a little bit with him but the convinced me that after looking at it, it was ok. Until this day I still feel that he should of changed it.

I'm just a little curious to see what some of you have to say on this matter because we all know what happens when the tensioner breaks.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: Timing Belt Tensioner

i would say failure of the tensioner or water pump pulley causes the belt to break more often than the belt itself failing. but you cannot "see" tensioner or pulley failure too often, especially without a belt on there.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I was told that the water pump should be done at my next timing belt change...but I'm just a little "iffy" about the tensioner.

I'm assuming he checked the tension with the belt on it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i mean after failure occurs, you can't typically look in the and say the tensioner failed vs the belt failed.

you replace both, so its not worth investigating too far. you should just do the water pump too, since the timing belt is overlap.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I'll inspect it before winter to make sure everything is ok. So far so good!

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Emtaym- If you go on Doax's DIY on installing the underdrive pully, there is a picture of it where he prys it with a crow-bar to put the belt back on. that picture will give you an idea of where it is, you cant see it looking at the engine from the top.

I personally spent the extra bucks to have my mechanic install a new tensioner and water pump. that ensures that not only the mechanic installs the belt, but also has to make sure the tension is correct since he put on a new tensioner. I beleive when a mechanic says something is not needed, he/she is just too lazy. Another part to put on is just more money in their pocket, and if they say no; then something is up. thats just my take on it, unless they are a friend and they are honestly trying to save you money. dont second guess yourself, if you feel it is needed, do it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by emtaym View Post
      hi there, just wanna ask where is the timing belt tensioner located?? someone told me that that would be the problem with my car. but i dnt know where it is.
      timing belt,tensioner,waterpump can only be seen if you remove the engine covers behind the front passenger wheel.lots of pics on this site just look for timing belt change threads.or chech this 1 out Aveo DiY has pictures too.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

XPloded Tensioner Pulley

My first post here.

I decided to do my timing belt myself, figured I would take care of a few problems along the way. I purchased a kit off ebay with belt water pump, idler pulley, tensioner and valve cover gasket. I followed one of the DIY threads here.

I had a horrible whine under the hood at higher RPM, so started checking it out today. Basically my tensioner pulley has grease all over the inside, looks like the new bearing seal xploded. (see picture)

No that it's almost 5-o'clock on a sunday, I'll try to find another tensioner puller somewhere and see if that gits'er done.

Aveo is a 2007 with 130K. I have driven it hard, like it was stolen. I have put no money into it other than oil and filters. I have about 10 miles on the new tensioner that blew up, it started making the whine right away. I have my old tensioner still, but I am going to put on a new one.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      did that tensioner even spin?

I can imagine that it "felt" right before putting it in.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      It felt, sounded and spun fine before I put it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast