•  
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Timing belt replacement issue

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by rgansaldi View Post
      .... from what everyone has been writing and i've read, the impact wrench will set the bolt at a higher torque that may damage it, is that correct?
      Although damage caused by an impact tool over-torquing is certainly possible, I'd actually be more concerned about under-torquing. In fact there is an archive thread in this forum where a member had the harmonic balancer fall off, resulting in engine damage. He confirmed that an impact tool had been used to reinstall the crank bolt, and agreed that it was virtually certain that not enough torque was applied using the impact tool.

Anyone who thinks that by using a torque stick they will be 'close enough', needs to consider that the FSM torque spec for that bolt is a combination of an initial torque, followed by 2 torque-to-angles. So there is not even an exact single numerical torque spec available, and the already imprecise torque stick will be that much worse, due to having to guess what the single value torque might be. IMO the folks who use impact tools to reinstall these crank bolts are very fortunate if nothing bad happens.

You are carrying on a good conversation here, and sound like someone who is will to go the extra mile to get a job done correctly. So I'm posting the write up of the method I've used (3 times) for the crank bolt on our Aveos. I'm not pushing this because the initial setup is a bit of a PITA to get everything collected and working correctly, and removing the starter to pin the flywheel is likely to be less work (the first time anyway). But I can tell you it does work, if you're interested in giving it a try.

https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f94/...her-way-15189/

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      it sounds like people are often getting the torque specs wrong. how do i get them right? i haven't had the opportunity yet to ever use a torque wrench. what's the right tool and technique?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I've managed to get the pulley off using a breaker bar and blocking the fly wheel. I see no paint on the belt. How do I figure out if my timing is off?

Name:  IMG_20190602_191707.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  269.6 KB

Thanks
      ... I see no paint on the belt. How do I figure out if my timing is off? ....
      Reinstall the crank bolt and turn the engine clockwise, until the 2 cam marks line up horizontally with each other, and the crank pointer is at 6 o'clock. If the 3 marks won't make that alignment, the timing is not correct.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Reinstall the crank bolt and turn the engine clockwise, until the 2 cam marks line up horizontally with each other, and the crank pointer is at 6 o'clock. If the 3 marks won't make that alignment, the timing is not correct.
      And if the timing is not correct? I feel the engine stopping me from continuing to crank. I have not put it under much force.

Thanks
      And if the timing is not correct? I feel the engine stopping me from continuing to crank. I have not put it under much force.
      That would be back to pistons hitting valves. In that case you should correct the timing with the current parts still on, and see how it's running. A compression test would be in order if there is any doubt about possible valve damage.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      That would be back to pistons hitting valves. In that case you should correct the timing with the current parts still on, and see how it's running. A compression test would be in order if there is any doubt about possible valve damage.
      Ok. Have you any idea how to move forward on doing that? I was not prepared

Thanks
      Ok. Have you any idea how to move forward on doing that? I was not prepared
      Can you post a picture (or 2), showing how far off the timing is before removing the belt? The pic(s) would need to show the cam marks, along with the crank mark, at the point that they come closest to being properly aligned.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Can you post a picture (or 2), showing how far off the timing is before removing the belt? The pic(s) would need to show the cam marks, along with the crank mark, at the point that they come closest to being properly aligned.
      I am not able to post it from mobile but the intake is at 9:30 and the exhaust is at 3:30, the crankshaft is at 3:00. I am fairly certain the crankshaft has jumped fiver counter clockwise positions while I was trying to remove the bolt. If I got back those 5 positions then the engine should turn freely.

I have been trying to release the water pump but it does not want to release the pressure from the timing belt. The retaining bolt are all the way off at this point, the timing adjustment wrench was damaging the water pump. The idler pulley markers show that is it tight and passed the mark.

I am having a really hard time approaching the water pump from a different angle. Any ideas?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I removed the alternator and still cannot rotate the pump.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast