•  

Thread: timing belt nightmare

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Smile timing belt nightmare

hi,i'm new here. i have a 2010 aveo5 and have about 15,000 miles on it. i have been reading about the timing belt nightmares and wondered why gm or korea did not use a metal chain since this has been going on for quite a while. does my 2010 have a belt or chain? thanks

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      that really applies only to the first gen aveo's, if they are done when they are needed then there is no issues, the new aveo's have intervals of 100k miles now. There are still a bunch of cars that use belts, but chains can still stretch out and still cause issues, really it comes down it the car having an interference engine or not. Some cars can break their belts and suffer no damage, just the way it is. Most of the things you read are from people who have no ideal what they are doing in the first place haha, but if it is done right and done on time it should never be an issue (some first gens have gone 100k+ plus on the stock belt lol)

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      a chain tensioner, or guide is the frequent wear item in a car with chains. the belt is the wear item on a car with a timing belt.

timing belts are MUCH easier to service 99% of the time. Some chains cost more than an entire aveo to service. And still only last a 1.5x longer than belts. yes the 60k mile belt issue on the aveo suprises most. But the 100k mile service to the newer ones is much more common interval.

Hatchbackhilbilly Hatchbackhilbilly's Avatar
      Thanks
      i personally have 93k on my original belt, havent found the time to exchange it being my daily driver... and my silver 05 i had before had 97 on it before it was totalled... all on o.e.m. belts...
      Dude, what kind of car is this?
      A Chevy Aveo.
      Piece of crap....
      Why? because its faster than your brothers civic? or because it gets better gas mileage than your scion?
      -silence-

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Find out about your warranty from the dealer and have it serviced when the owner's hand book says to. I drive an 05 model with a belt and when I had the belt changed the mechanic was not very impressed with what he found. The belt he took out could have gone for another 60 000 klicks. the tensor, pully and water pump look to have never been replaced. I have no warranty on the car and no one know has record of when the belt was replaced.

So I would say find it in your owner's book that the car should come with and keep the oil changed. your car will last longer