•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle position sensor

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks

Throttle position sensor

Ok so i finally got around to trying fixing that p2135 cel code, i ordered the throttle position sensor from gmpartsdirect.com, i got it in today but i believe i got the wrong part sent to me, i specified the year and model like it says but i think they sent me the sensor for the drive-by-cable throttle. I need the sensor for the drive-by-wire throttle, can someone show me a picture of both? ive looked around on the forum and internet but i cant find a picture large enough for me to see it. thanks.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Throttle position sensor

Apparently they're not supposed to be serviceable, everything I found says just to replace the whole throttle body (ouch.)

Just found a TSB about that DTC:

ENGINEERING INFORMATION

Bulletin No.: 08-06-04-023

Date: March 27, 2008
      Subject:
      EI08117 - 1.6L L91, Reduced Engine Power, I/P Light On, DTC P2135, Throttle Position Sensor (Engineering Information)

Models:
      2006-2007 Chevrolet Aveo
      2006-2007 Pontiac Wave (Canada Only)

with 1.6L Engine (VIN Code 6 - RPO L91)
      Attention: Proceed with this bulletin ONLY if the customer has commented about this concern AND the EI number is listed in GMVIS. Otherwise, disregard the bulletin and proceed with diagnostics found in the published Service Information. THIS IS NOT A RECALL - refer to TSB 04-00-89-053A for more details on the use of Engineering Information bulletins.

Condition

Some customers may comment on a check engine light on and/or reduced engine power. Upon further investigation, the technician may find DTC P2135 set.

Cause

GM Engineering is attempting to determine the cause of DTC P2135 setting. General Motors has a need to obtain technical information from the technician during diagnosis and BEFORE any repair is made.
      1. Determine if DTC P2135 has been set.

Yes - Proceed with Step 2.

No - Do not proceed with this bulletin. Continue to diagnose and repair.
      2. Follow the next steps based on whether DTC P2135 is current or stored in history:

DTC P2135 - Current
      1. Using the Tech 2(R), record a snapshot of the data. Set the recording point on the Tech 2(R) to "center". Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 07-07-30-010 for detailed information on capturing a snapshot and uploading the data to a computer using TIS software.

2. E-mail the snapshot to GM Engineers. Include the following information in the e-mail:

^ VIN, Repair Order # and Vehicle Mileage

^ Dealer Name, Location, Dealer Code & Phone Number

^ Technician Name

Important:
      ^ For vehicles in which P2135 is current and are located within two hours of Rochester, NY, engineering may need to physically inspect the vehicle.

^ Technicians should NOT disconnect or disturb ANY wiring.

^ If you do not receive a phone call from the engineer within one hour of sending the snapshot by e-mail, proceed to diagnose and repair the vehicle following information found in SI.

The engineer will contact you with further diagnostic/repair information.

DTC P2135 - Stored in History
      1. Using the Tech 2(R), capture the failure records.

2. E-mail the failure records to the engineer. Include the following information in the e-mail:

^ VIN, Repair Order # and Vehicle Mileage

^ Dealer Name, Location, Dealer Code & Phone Number

^ Technician Name

3. Proceed to diagnose and repair the vehicle.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Had a check engine light problem last winter and it was the tps... the whole throttle body was replaced.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks

dang....thanks for the info guys

bad part tho is that ive taken my throttle body off and ive driven my car through water, i know that the dealer will be able to tell ive taken it off becasue they use markings to determine it so they probably wont cover it under the tsb. plus, i dont like hassling with dealers so im gonna order the part myself and replace it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yo, Khan4rtist! First off, I really dig your pic... very cool! Also, I have had the same problem recently on an 08 LS sedan. The mechanics I've been dealing with suggested starting by replacing the O2 sensor. Did anybody try that first? I will show them this bulletin next time I go in. I'd like to know if replacing the throttle body fixed it, and if it stayed fixed. I am assuming you guys had mods when it started reading the error code; mine started right after having my muffler installed (a Magnaflow high-flow that was meant to complement the CAI)... mechanics say it might be because of the aftermarket parts... this bulletin seems to indicate that it's happened to a lot of people, some of which I'm sure don't have any mods. One more question; about how much is a throttle body for these cars, and is there a performance replacement part? (Ok, 2. I will appreciate ANY additional info ya'll can pass on. )
      Last edited by Weirdo_Joe; 06-22-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      There are quite a few threads about this problem with the TB, mod wise though I never had any codes pop up, I did recently install a silencer of my muffler and disliked the sound, when I removed it and turned on my car it gave me my first code, I just went and reset. For the TB, there is no aftermarket one as no one has made one and or there is a lack of demand as with every aveo part as you know

I'll keep it and add a turbo Weirdo_Joe's Avatar
      Thanks
      Yeah, I sooooo know... thought I'd ask and see if ya'll found anything new, though! I already took off the negative battery cable, hoping it would reset. Is that what you did? It worked for a few days. I've read some other threads about this, now; it seems as though cleaning the throttle body worked for some. Replacement worked for others, but one person had gone through THREE throttle bodies. I did find out that it's only about $160 for the part-not as much as I was afraid it would be... I kinda think this is the same problem I got, and I have a hunch that replacing the O2 sensor would be a waste of time/money. Any thoughts? The mechanic tested it and said it seemed to be working properly.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      I do not know the specific's of the problem, but cleaning it would help. You use a OBD2 device to clear the codes, that is the best way to do it, that is how I have always done it. I doubt it is a 02 sensor, might be a TB sensor, best bet is to take it to the dealer if you have a warranty, if not it still may be the best way.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      odds are very likely if you have a code it will point you in the right direction. not all the time, but most.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      i got a new-to-me throttle body from the wreckers for $85. i installed it yesterday and it seems to have remedied the p2135 from the aveo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast