•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Throttle Body Issues??

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Greetings,

I'm about to install a new throttle body. Any special tools (Torx, etc) I should have beyond the average set of tools?

How long did it take you for removal and installation? Thanks for your input.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dilrod View Post
      I'm about to install a new throttle body. Any special tools (Torx, etc) I should have beyond the average set of tools?
      Any new project is worthy of buying new tools. Just say to the wife "I need some Torx sockets for this job, going to harbor freight." Then go buy them. I assure you, your inner guy will never be happier.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      Any new project is worthy of buying new tools. Just say to the wife "I need some Torx sockets for this job, going to harbor freight." Then go buy them. I assure you, your inner guy will never be happier.
      Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing!! Always a good reason to buy more tools!

Thanks
      I don't have my car here so I could look. You may have to take of the valve cover and that uses metric hex allen key. I have a 3/4 drive set for that. I would get a sex of Torx. I needed them to remove the passenger and driver air bag sensors.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      2011 Chevy Aveo5

I am have a similar issue with my 2011 Aveo.

It started after driving about a mile or 2, when I depress the gas pedal half way it would lose all power and stall the motor. I would then depress the pedal all the way and the car would take off. then after holding the pedal all the way down several times for bout 2-5 miles it would stop and work normal untill I shut car off or if I drove it slow through a town and had stop and go traffic.

From the research I am doing it really sounds like it is a TPS issue, which means I would need to replace my entire throttle body to get this repaired. I cannot believe that I have such a major problem on a 3 .5 year old car. I should not have such a major problem on such a new vehicle

I have a manual transmission, I believe if I had an auto tranny that my car would be almost useless at this point. but because it is manual I am able to shift when I need to.

Also, my issue has turned into the fact that now no matter what gear I am driving in the engine will not go higher than 4000rpms. I can barely manage to go highway speeds.

It would be nice if anyone knows if replacing the TB actually fixes the problem, that is what I really need to know. I just don't want to waste money buying lots of parts.

Thanks
      I would pull open the intake and give a good cleaning. Also get a friend to watch the TB and make sure the butterfly valve is moving smoothly with the accelerator pedal. On 2006 and up aveo, it's fly by wire meaning there is a computer controlled actuator at the TB.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      P2135 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch 'A'/'B' Voltage Correlation.

I replaced the throttle body on my 2008 Aveo 5 speed, no power anything, at 51K miles a year ago and it cost $75. I replaces it at again at 55K 2 days ago and this one cost $50 (ebay auction-I was the only bidder).

It only takes 15 minuets to change once you have done it a few times. 1/4" racher wrench with a 3 or 4 " extension, three 10mm nuts, 1 10mm bolt, 1 wire connector, 2 small heater hose clamps (plires) and 2 air duct clamps (flat blade screw driver). I re-used the old red "O" ring at the base plate.

I am getting 37 MPG on the car but I drive very conservatively.

Last edited by OG-Lou; 10-27-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123