•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stainless exhaust=load of horse****

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks

Stainless exhaust=load of horse****

So, I still have pipe laying around from changing my exhaust out. I cleaned some of the old pipe with a wire wheel, hmm, this sure doesnt look like stainless... grab a magnet, not staiinless in the least bit. Had my car up, checked headers, nope, checked immediately after flex pipe, nope. The only thing I couldnt check was the muffler. So to all those who say the exhaust on the 09+ is stainless, hate to say, but its not. And the article that says it is is for GM canada​. Im not sure if they changed the exhaust for canadian cars or something, but my 2010 sure as **** isnt stainless

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      So, I still have pipe laying around from changing my exhaust out. I cleaned some of the old pipe with a wire wheel, hmm, this sure doesnt look like stainless... grab a magnet, not staiinless in the least bit. Had my car up, checked headers, nope, checked immediately after flex pipe, nope. The only thing I couldnt check was the muffler. So to all those who say the exhaust on the 09+ is stainless, hate to say, but its not. And the article that says it is is for GM canada​. Im not sure if they changed the exhaust for canadian cars or something, but my 2010 sure as **** isnt stainless

"my 2010 sure as **** isnt stainless" and "grab a magnet, not staiinless in the least bit."
      Well Pickles, I'll tell this to you straight. You have a lack of knowledge when it comes to metals.

Go grab a stainless steel fork or knife out of your kitchen and put a magnet to it. If I were you I would not pursue this argument further.

(BTW, I have enormous respect for anyone who can admit when they are in error, but no respect for those who might argue defensively and cannot admit it.)

Thanks
      Every stainless i have dealt with is either not magnetic or significantly less magnetic than regular steel. I work in a hardware store and all SS is nonmagnetic. That said, I do understand the magnet test isn't concrete evidence. But just looking at it it doesn't look like SS either. Just seems fishy to me

Thanks
      Also, seems awfully close-minded of you to say you have no respect for those who defend their beliefs

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      Also, seems awfully close-minded of you to say you have no respect for those who defend their beliefs
      You are absolutely correct. I agree with your assessment of me. I'm the most closed-minded man on earth when it comes to facts.

But I know that stainless steel is magnetic - that's a fact. And I understand the crucial difference between a belief and a fact.

I'll keep it and add a turbo festersays's Avatar
      Thanks
      Shots fired!!

But really, aside from the argument, would it really matter much if it wasn't SS?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Common stainless types in exhaust

I don't plan on singing kumbaya here but there are more civil ways to approach a topic. ...from both sides.

That being said, I'm not going to pick on anyone just post what should have been the replay from the start. Remember, it's easier to make a defense of and point with SUPPORTING information. ...not a club to the head.

The most widely used austenite steel is the 304, also known as 18/8 for its composition of 18% chromium and 8% nickel. This is the most commonly used type for the aftermarket auto industry (keep in mind, that doesn't mean it's the best).
      The second most common austenite steel is the 316 grade, also called marine grade stainless, used primarily for its increased resistance to corrosion. A typical composition of 18% chromium and 10% nickel, commonly known as 18/10 stainless, is often used in cutlery and high quality cookware.
      Last edited by gse_turbo; 08-17-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      You are absolutely correct. I agree with your assessment of me. I'm the most closed-minded man on earth when it comes to facts.

But I know that stainless steel is magnetic - that's a fact. And I understand the crucial difference between a belief and a fact.
      That's not a fact. 300 series grades of stainless are non magnetic. FACT

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Wooo people. Everyone is right. Cheap stainless is magnetic, good stainless is non magnetic.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I was figuring everyone would connect the dots but... 316 stainless (300 series stainless) is very high quality and it IS magnetic, ie, the kitchen knife example. There are other stainlesses that have varying degrees of magnetism as well.

Chromium makes a metal "stainless" and Carbon makes it magnetic. You CAN have both properties in one metal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast