•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: short shifter

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

short shifter

anyone get one of those short throw shifters in their aveo yet? are they worth the $150+??

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Re: short shifter

Truthfully, the answer to this will depend on what your opinion of "worth it" is.

Before you consider spending $150 on a mod that basically amounts to nothing, it would be in your best interests to determine why you're interested in the short throw shifter to begin with.

In reality, if you shorten the shift throw, you're just going to end up shifting more slowly to make up for the length to achieve proper shifts. (Torque-arm shifts aren't proper - they destroy synchros.)

Just something for you to think about.

If you wanted my opinion on short throw shifters, the answer is, pure and simple, NO. They're not worth the money.

If you want a real improvement in your shifting, replace shift lever/cable (whichever is applicable, or both) bushings with something harder than booger joints (rubber), and make sure all the movable joints are tight and well lubricated. You may find (again, not specifically on the Aveo) that you have to drill attachment points and add a bolt/nut and slip washers to get a "nice" feel. It's a basically free mod, and makes a significant improvement in selector response and accuracy.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

I actually make short shifters, they are linkage design copies of the $150+ version, and work well.

The also tighten up the slop and unlike some cheaper short shifters for other cars do no short the synchros and such in the transmission.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      I actually make short shifters, they are linkage design copies of the $150+ version, and work well.

The also tighten up the slop and unlike some cheaper short shifters for other cars do no short the synchros and such in the transmission.
      That's cool. How much do you charge?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

$50, plus a $50 core.

Basically, its $50 but i need your old one to modify it for the next person.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

$50, plus a $50 core.

For the lurkers -

"Core" refers to your old, broken (but usually serviceable) piece. It's a charge that you pay up front which ensures that you'll bring back your used item to the retailer (Petrified.Rabbit, in this case) to ensure that the business has a steady supply of product to be rebuilt and sold.

When you return the core, you get your core charge back. It's a very common business practice.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

$50, plus a $50 core.

Cool. I don't see why someone would need their old one anyways... but you never know.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serega12
      $50, plus a $50 core.

Cool. I don't see why someone would need their old one anyways... but you never know.
      Resale time... to revert the vehicle back to OE specs for resale. Most people would never notice a short throw shifter had been installed, unless they were already familiar with the OE shifter, though. In this case, it's something that won't change the value of the vehicle significantly if you were to leave it in place.

Thanks

rabbit - out of curiosity, how much does the kit change the throw length compared to stock?
      ---
      Aveo Underdrive Pulleys -- $20 Off Sale This Week. Get more info here.
      ---

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

on mine i have a mathematically calculated @ 30% reduction in throw. At the top of my shifter, measuring the distance from the dash, there is about a 3 1/2-4" front to rear shift movement compared to whatever is stock (i forgot to measure before i pulled it out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast