•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Purple advice?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Royal Purple advice?

Hi, all, newbie here. My fiances' 2005 Aveo is reaching it's oil change interval. She's got 43,000 miles on it and has been using conventional oil since the day she's bought it. Well she does alot of highway mileage and puts about 20,000 miles on her car every year. I would like to switch her car over to Royal Purple 5W-30. Is there anything that can go wrong by switching over? Anything I need to do or look for before and after I switch over? I'm going to be using the K&N Oil filter. These cars take four quarts of 5w-30, correct? What's the worst that could happen? I'd like to change her oil every 7,500 to 10,000 miles. Thanks for the help guys!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Re: Royal Purple advice?

Quote Originally Posted by JMSA540
      Hi, all, newbie here. My fiances' 2005 Aveo is reaching it's oil change interval. She's got 43,000 miles on it and has been using conventional oil since the day she's bought it. Well she does alot of highway mileage and puts about 20,000 miles on her car every year. I would like to switch her car over to Royal Purple 5W-30. Is there anything that can go wrong by switching over? Anything I need to do or look for before and after I switch over? I'm going to be using the K&N Oil filter. These cars take four quarts of 5w-30, correct? What's the worst that could happen? I'd like to change her oil every 7,500 to 10,000 miles. Thanks for the help guys!
      You will be fine using it, just make sure to get the old conventional oil flushed out

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JMSA540
      Royal Purple is a fine oil, however, price and availability sometimes are an issue. Any good synthetic (M1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc) will make it to your desired interval. I'd run the RP or any other synthetic to 7500 and do an oil analysis to see how much further you could go. Personally, if you have been using conventional with no issues since day one I would stick with exactly what you have been doing.
      2008 Chevrolet Aveo LS sedan - 13,230 miles
      2008 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4.0L V6 - 34,920 miles
      2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2L I6- 95,870 miles

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

see with me its not the oil im worried about because I use 3 qrts of cheap brand oil and 1 thing of lucas oil additive and i can go for 4000+ miles and the oil is still all there and looks good, but i worry about the oil filter more

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

i thought someone said it wasnt a good idea to switch over to synthetics after you have been using conventional oil for a while, and the same if you were using synthetics. i thought it was something about the seals in your motor getting "conditioned" to the type of lubricant being used.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYChevoo
      i thought someone said it wasnt a good idea to switch over to synthetics after you have been using conventional oil for a while, and the same if you were using synthetics. i thought it was something about the seals in your motor getting "conditioned" to the type of lubricant being used.
      yea i heard that too.. what i read about it is this.... Conventional oil sludges up over time and as your car runs your seals start to wear and sludge gets in the seals an gaskets and keeps them from leaking... but if you switch to synthetic after using conventional for thousands of miles you will start to develop leaks out of thin air... Reason? cause syntetic clean out sludge which is good BUT it cleans out the sludge that is sealing those worn out seals and gaskets... and since synthetic will not sludge and is thinnner in consistency then conventional it will make its way out of your engine.... Also, synthetic can cause blowby in worn engines due to the fact it is thinner your rings are nowhere near the clearance they start at and the thinner oil will work its way past the oil rings and out your tailpipe..... synthetic is really good but in some cases like older cars with worn out parts it's too good.... To me in my opinion if you want synthetic start out when your cars engine is only got a few miles don't wait till it gets up in age.... if your car is up in age best to stick with a quality convention or hybrid at most. Also, if you got a older engine and you are doing your oil changes at 7,500 it is much better to do it at 3,000 to increase longevity of your engine.... keep cleaner oil running more often in that engine then running dirty oil for longer periods of time... but thats my opinion good luck

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

FWIW, Royal Purple and Mobil 1 are not synthetic. They are synthetic blends. Asmoil and Redline are full synthetics.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aveodude
      FWIW, Royal Purple and Mobil 1 are not synthetic. They are synthetic blends. Asmoil and Redline are full synthetics.
      r u sure? i was at the auto shop yesterday and looked at royal purple and it was listed as full synthetic....... there was no blend available

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

I was about to say, I have always used mobil1 .. and its because its Full synthetic.
      07 Aveo LS 5/speed Manual

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Sorry I meant to say Castrol Syntec. Mobil 1 only sells as a Full Synthetic on the bottle as well and it is not. Here is some background on that.

Mobil sued Castrol for calling Syntec full synthetic when it was still derived from fossil fuels. Castrol won the lawsuit and the judge declared the name "synthetic" a marketing word. Since then, Mobil has switched to a group III base stock.
      The reason this is significant is because now companies can sell oil as a full synthetic when it is still made from fossil fuels. In Europe, when something says full synthetic, it actually it. Mobil 1 over there is not the same as over here.

Redline, Motul, and Asmoil are Group IV and/or Group V. I could not find anything on Royal purple.

this link talks about the different Groups
      http://www.genuine-synthetics.com/benef ... tures.html

To the original poster.
      For the longest time, I had this to say about mixing mineral and synthetic oils:

* If you've been driving around with mineral oil in your engine for years, don't switch to synthetic oil without preparation. Synthetic oils have been known to dislodge the baked-on deposits from mineral oils and leave them floating around your engine - not good. I learned this lesson the hard way! It's wise to use a flushing oil first.
      * If you do decide to change, only go up the scale. If you've been running around on synthetic, don't change down to a mineral-based oil - your engine might not be able to cope with the degradation in lubrication. Consequently, if you've been using mineral oil, try a semi or a full synthetic oil. By degradation, I'm speaking of the wear tolerances that an engine develops based on the oil that it's using. Thicker mineral oils mean thicker layers of oil coating the moving parts (by microns though). Switching to a thinner synthetic oil can cause piston rings to leak and in some very rare cases, piston slap or crank vibration.
      * Gaskets and seals! With the makeup of synthetic oils being different from mineral oils, mineral-oil-soaked gaskets and seals have been known to leak when exposed to synthetic oils. Perhaps not that common an occurrence, but worth bearing in mind nevertheless.
      http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast