•  
    Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Replacing the alternator

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by smrh20 View Post
      there is an easy way to do this, you do not have to take off the manifold, you do not have to take off manifold brackets. all you do is take off the mounting the alternator sits on. there are 3 screws. then u take the altanator with bracket it sits on ,off from the bottom of car and then unscrew the last screw off the alternator that is still connected to the "alt mounting."
      Exactly. 20-30 minute job, and people are making it sound like brain surgery.

But people will always have the mindset of "I don't care how you said to do it, I'm a newb and will do it my own way." Then come back to say you were right, but won't actually admit it.

Remember people, disconnect the battery first. Ground is first off, last to put on.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
      But people will always have the mindset of "I don't care how you said to do it, I'm a newb and will do it my own way." Then come back to say you were right, but won't actually admit it.
      I take part in multiple auto forums, and based on my own experience, don't agree with that statement in any way. I've seen a number of folks reply to advice that I've given, confirming it worked for them. And on the other side, I've received tons of help from reading what other have done, and have tried to confirm positive results to them as well. And I personally know of many other guys who do the same as I do.

Now if you're bothered by the fact that so many people post a problem and never reply with their result, well that's just the way it is, and it's not going to change. I never expect a reply when I post - it does happen some of the time, but more often there is no reply or result posted. But regardless of that, the overall benefit from these forums is HUGE. And for certain there are sometimes disagreements about which way is best, but there's nothing wrong with that either, and it ususally results in lots of information.

A perfect example is this thread. I've never had to replace the alt on one of our Aveos, but have followed the various threads because eventually it probably will happen. So when I read the post by smrh20, I wanted to take a look at this myself. But it's been so cold here in MA that this evening was the first time I could crawl under and check out what he wrote.

And so I'll say thanks to smrh20 for your info. It looks good to me, and I'll definitely try that route, if and when I have to do this job

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      I take part in multiple auto forums, and based on my own experience, don't agree with that statement in any way. I've seen a number of folks reply to advice that I've given, confirming it worked for them. And on the other side, I've received tons of help from reading what other have done, and have tried to confirm positive results to them as well. And I personally know of many other guys who do the same as I do.

Now if you're bothered by the fact that so many people post a problem and never reply with their result, well that's just the way it is, and it's not going to change. I never expect a reply when I post - it does happen some of the time, but more often there is no reply or result posted. But regardless of that, the overall benefit from these forums is HUGE. And for certain there are sometimes disagreements about which way is best, but there's nothing wrong with that either, and it ususally results in lots of information.

A perfect example is this thread. I've never had to replace the alt on one of our Aveos, but have followed the various threads because eventually it probably will happen. So when I read the post by smrh20, I wanted to take a look at this myself. But it's been so cold here in MA that this evening was the first time I could crawl under and check out what he wrote.

And so I'll say thanks to smrh20 for your info. It looks good to me, and I'll definitely try that route, if and when I have to do this job
      Well you and I are a lot alike.
      I agree with a lot of that.

I'll read all the way through a thread to see if there were any second thoughts on how something could've been better, avoiding mistakes, etc.

What I stated, I see a lot of on my diesel forums.

I have friends/family that don't know jack about cars, then they don't listen to my advice and come back crying saying I should've told them.
      So it just irks me when someone doesn't listen to others that have done it multiple times.

Btw, the 20-30 minute job is a 07 aveo 4 door.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by parking_lot_mechanic View Post
      make sure you do an idle relearn when your done putting it all back together. i did my alternator today and had to search for the service manual cuz my engine was idleing so rough i thought my battery was toast. im gonna make a new thread with the link to the online service manual i found so its easy for everyone to find. let me know if you want me to post the relearn procedure so u dont have to search the manual.
      Could you please post the relearn procedure. Just replaced timing belt which included a new head. Now the battery light is on and the car keeps dying. I put the charger on it, then it starts up, runs great but dies when I take the charger off. Thank you.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Replaced mine on 9-13-2014. It was on the wife's 2007 Aveo5. Original alternator, car has 235,000 miles.

We were out of town on our way to a Detroit Tigers game when My wife noticed the battery light on. Luckily we made it to the game and after the game made it to within 1 mile of my brother-in-law's and sister's house before the battery completely died. My bro-in-law and I changed it the next morning in his driveway/garage in less than 2 hours.

We had found a video on Youtube that was helpful. I am pretty sure it is the same video I seen a link for posted on the forum in the past. We did a little from the top, but most of the work was from the bottom which is where it came out.

Apparently the alternator had been getting weaker and weaker before this. My wife had been telling me her car didn't have the power it used to have. I thought it was due to the high mileage. Before we installed the new alternator but after we had charged the battery all night, I started the car up and disconnected the battery. The car still ran. I turned on the headlights and the engined strained. I hit the high beams and it died. After installing the new alternator the car had renewed strength that was missing before all of this. Even my wife remarked how it had its power back. The weak alternator must have been preventing the coil from producing at full strength.

What do you mean there's no turbo? AveoJoe's Avatar
      Thanks
      https://youtu.be/1cHQaItVxdQ doing this today on my way to work lights were dim wipers ran slow RED BATTERY LIGHT ON.

Thanks
      I am having trouble getting one of the 3 bolts that hold the bracket to the block. Is there any way to get the pivot bolt out without taking the whole thing off. I've really been busting my knuckles on this one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234