•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing a 4 speed auto transmission in 07 Aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      200k is a lot of miles for the AW81-40le trans. Mine did the same at 100k. Every trans shop wanted 3k to rebuild it. Ridiculous. I ended up buying a used one (22k miles) off eBay for $400 shipped. Just saying it may not be worth rebuilding when you can get a low mileage used one for next to nothing.

Thanks
      So you were right to try the obd reader. The code would reset by the time we got home. We have a cylinder one misfire.

Here's the deal. All but one spark plug was soaked in oil and we already replaced the valve cover gasket.

I'm worried it's piston rings.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by dbooyah93 View Post

Here's the deal. All but one spark plug was soaked in oil and we already replaced the valve cover gasket.

I'm worried it's piston rings.
      I'm assuming you're saying that oil was on the plugs above the threads. If so, there are a few ways to mess up the VC gasket install (primarily torqueing incorrectly), and that would be my first suspect. When replacing the VC gasket you should use an (inch) torque wrench and tighten the bolts incrementally and in proper sequence. And also use (a very small amount of) RTV only at the transition points.

Did you also replace the plug wires? If not, a plug wire is highly likely to be the cause of the misfire.

Thanks
      There was oil ABOVE the threads AND below.

We saw that the cables looked poor inside them where the connection is made.

We will replace wires too. Thank you

Thanks
      There was oil ABOVE the threads AND below ....
      Yes, oil on the threads is expected because it quickly runs down from the pool in the plug well as the plug is being removed. IMO you have no need to be concerned about any issue other than the VC gasket and the plug wires.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Yes, oil on the threads is expected because it quickly runs down from the pool in the plug well as the plug is being removed. IMO you have no need to be concerned about any issue other than the VC gasket and the plug wires.
      We replaced spark plugs, and wires after cleaning tubes. We no longer are getting the misfire. We will check for the leaking oil later, but the VC was torqued to spec

Thanks
      Â…. We will check for the leaking oil later, but the VC was torqued to spec
      There's really no explanation for oil above the plug threads, other than a bad VC gasket seal, and if the job is done correctly, the plug wells will remain completely dry for years. Did you tighten the VC bolts according to the 'book' sequencing, using 3 passes (or at least 2), with a final torque somewhere around 100 inch-lbs?

Thanks
      There's really no explanation for oil above the plug threads, other than a bad VC gasket seal, and if the job is done correctly, the plug wells will remain completely dry for years. Did you tighten the VC bolts according to the 'book' sequencing, using 3 passes (or at least 2), with a final torque somewhere around 100 inch-lbs?
      So we put the VC gasket on about 10k miles ago. Can we reuse it, or should we get a new gasket? Can we just loosen the bolts, and tighten them in the sequencing way that you are referencing?

Thanks
      Definitely buy a new gasket (Felpro makes a good one) and do the job over from scratch. If you need the sequence numbers, I'll fish it out and post it for you.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Definitely buy a new gasket (Felpro makes a good one) and do the job over from scratch. If you need the sequence numbers, I'll fish it out and post it for you.
      I bought a felpro gasket, thoroughly cleaned all surfaces. Torqued up to the textbook instructions 90 (~10Nm). As specified sealant on the correct areas.

Again after about 3000 kms leaking on the corner.
      These are such a pain for leakages.

Maybe I should have put sealant all around.

Should I attempt to tighten it up a bit more or would that make it worse now the sealant is cured?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12