•  

Thread: Radiator upgrade help

Thanks

Radiator upgrade help

I want to replace the radiator in my 09 sedan with a more effecient better flowing unit. Any recommendations would be great, also if anybody has done this already, any tips you can throw my way for custom fitment would be great too. Thanks = )

Thanks
      My recommendation would be to leave the stock radiator in place! Why do you think you need an upgraded one? You realize that radiator is designed and sized to be able to cool your car while driving through death valley on a bad day, right? Its massive overkill for almost any other environment on earth.

Thanks
      Well when I spoke to the customer service reps at Jet they told me that if I was gonna use the chip that the car is gonna run hot unless I upgrade my cooling system. And well since the thermostat is not your typical thermostat, I haven't been able to find a low temp one to see if that will do the job for me. I understand that regardless of the radiator that the thermo operates at the same temp. I just don't want it struggling to keep the fluid cool.

Thanks
      A lot of guys that turbocharge their engines can keep the stock radiator without any issues at all until they are running waaaay higher than stock horsepower. Seriously, most cars have massive cooling capacity compared to what they need.

Going to a cooler thermostat isn't going to do anything unless there is a hot spot in the engine (which there shouldn't be) and you're getting knock. Most newer vehicles are running warmer thermostats because it increases the engine's efficiency (gas mileage and power gains). Unless you're getting problems with not being able to advance your ignition enough (usually fixable with higher octane fuel) or getting knock I wouldn't recommend going to a cooler thermostat.

If you're looking to mess with engine management you should be monitoring things like coolant temp, air intake temp and many other engine sensors. If you find that your coolant is getting too warm while tuning only then would I even think about upgrading the cooling system.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      A lot of guys that turbocharge their engines can keep the stock radiator without any issues at all until they are running waaaay higher than stock horsepower. Seriously, most cars have massive cooling capacity compared to what they need.

Going to a cooler thermostat isn't going to do anything unless there is a hot spot in the engine (which there shouldn't be) and you're getting knock. Most newer vehicles are running warmer thermostats because it increases the engine's efficiency (gas mileage and power gains). Unless you're getting problems with not being able to advance your ignition enough (usually fixable with higher octane fuel) or getting knock I wouldn't recommend going to a cooler thermostat.

If you're looking to mess with engine management you should be monitoring things like coolant temp, air intake temp and many other engine sensors. If you find that your coolant is getting too warm while tuning only then would I even think about upgrading the cooling system.
      ok good, stuff. It's always nice to have a little insight from people who've actually been around the block. This is my first non turbo 4 cylinder since I had a 1987 accord hatchback lol. Well I'm just gonna wait and see if in the summer any problems arrive I guess by what you're saying. Might as well not spend the money on it unless it's needed. Although when it comes to this car, it was so cheap it's hard not to put money into it lol.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      cooling system can be upgraded just by changing the mix of the fluid in the system.

but run too cold youll have issues too. leave it alone. if the programming causes overheating, its not good programming

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      The radiator should only be changed if it has any problems. If your radiator is fine...leave it alone and just flush the cooling system every year or so.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      ****...i didnt have to replace my radiator until recently in my 2004 aveo.