•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: practical applications of the hold button

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: practical applications of the hold button

Quote Originally Posted by Monzaveo
      At a stoplight I'd drop the shifter down into L1. When it was time, I'd run the car up to 4,500 rpm in gear (much higher than the regular shift point).
      I'd use the least pedal pressure possible, so as not to run the car to rich.
      Then I'd pop the shifter to L2 and almost get a chirp from the rear wheels.
      Not to nitpick and all, but on a carburated engine holding the throttle open wider than it needs to be makes it run lean not rich. Again, i'm just bugging and not trying to sound like a dick.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

No problem Jib, but I think I'm not explaining it right.

I while holding the car in gear, I could have mashed the accelerator, past the point acceleration, opening the butterflies more than they needed to be with the tell-tale black smoke dumping out the exhaust.
      That would indeed be driving it 'rich'

But thats just plain senseless.

I would only use as much pedal as the car would take, sometimes even backing off as the rev's climb higher and faster. than when you bogg the car out with a mashed accelerator.

Engines seems to respond more crisply, than when the gas pedal is over used.

So I call it running it lean, as opposed to running it rich, but it might not actually be lean.

Thanks

Yeah, no prob. I know what you're talking about with keeping the throttle open just as much as it needs. On my old Suzuki GS400E motorbike, you can feel when the throttle is open too much and you seem to get more power riding just under that point.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Exclamation Hold Light Issues

Hi,
      So, a few days ago I accidentally spilled some water.... well ok... it was a little more than some... on the shifter part of my car. Which is a 2010 Chevy Aveo. I cleaned up the water as fast as I could. Then the next day I was going about 40 mph and then my car started to shake as I was trying to go faster... Noticed the hold button light was on while I was trying to do the speed limit. But, I slowed down pressed the hold button, light went out and car was fine and I was able to drive... then the light comes on again real quick then goes out then goes on then out. Sometimes it would stay on but every time I would press the button real quick. I called the Chevy Dealership and spoke with them... They ask if i had a bunch of snow and/or ice build up around the tires and I said yes so they said take it through the carwash to see if that helps. I did just that... didn't work... then I called back and was finally able to tell them what happened. The guy I spoke with said it sounds like some of the water go to the button and to blare the heat for about an hour to try and dry out the button and to see if that works. I did just that! So from 6-7pm the heat was going full max- Then at 8:30pm I had to drive about 20 min to pick up my Boyfriend from work the light did not come back on while driving to get him and it didn't turn on driving home.... I haven't drove the car yet today- but could water getting to the button cause this? Oh. ps. one of the times when the Hold Button Light was freaking out my check engine light came on real quick flashed at me real quick and when away! But, when the car was shaking I did not try and push it only because the car was saying "Hey don't push me or something bad will happen." I'm just worried only because I've had the car for a little over a year paid a bit for it and I have a 4 year old with me too! And where we live it's a little to cold out to be walking because the car **** the bed! Any opinions??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12