•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: P2135-TPS sensor issue-08 aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by cdrematt View Post
      I had this problem on my 2008 Aveo5. Had the throttle body replaced in March 2018. Got the CEL again on New year's eve, en route to work, and it was running sluggishly. After work, I go to Auto Zone, and sure enough, it's our old friend the throttle position sensor. Took it back to the shop today. Don't think it's supposed to fail again less than ten months after replacement
      The good news, it is not the throttle body sensor. The bad news, the problem seems to be intermittent, and the mechanic could not replicate it. Judging only by the error codes (Apparently, there were several) they think the problem is either the MAP sensor or the computer itself. They can't say for sure until they can examine it when the problem is happening, or immediately after. For now, they sent the car back and told me to drive on as normal (no charge for the visit)

What's wrong with my car? furrbrain's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have the same problem with my 2009. I found a TPS at NAPA and will be replacing it today. (15 degrees!!)

Mine is a "comes and goes" type problem and can pull over for about 5 minutes and the car will be fine for awhile.

Aveo SS
      Thanks
      Sorry to say this but it looks like you need a new throttle body. Heat and cold play a big row when it comes to electronics, quick checks you can do is check for voltage signal and ground, if you have all three you need a new throttle body.
      “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
      Jeremy Clarkson

Thanks
      Update:
      I retract my statements about the manual idle learn reset it only "worked" for one drive cycle. I would now say, bring your vehicle to a shop for scan tool computer program procedure called "IDLE LEARN RESET" Please be aware that messing with your throttle body comes with risks. If you decide you want to take it out and clean it I recommend you have a high end scan tool right there available or you might not be able to drive anymore. This video goes over the risks of removing your throttle body:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/p2135-obd-ii-trouble-code-throttle-pedal-position-sensor-switch-a-b-voltage-correlation-by-blake-griffin

Also I just recently got back the P0116 code for the coolant temperature sensor it apparently can cause a hard starting engine.
      https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0116

Last edited by Blake466; 04-05-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks
      Follow up on my last post. The light came on again, and I took it directly to the mechanic. They checked the codes and came up with a manifold air leak. Sure enough, there was a bad gasket on the intake manifold. So far, that repair has done the trick

Thanks
      This may seem a little odd, but it is my observation after doing the head gasket on an 08. My daughter's car was throwing the p2135 code for the tps in the throttle body. The car failed its head gasket so I focused on that and thought i would look at the throttle body later. Funny thing is now that the head gasket is fixed the engine no longer throws the p2135 code. It is possible that i jostled some wiring and that fixed the p2135 code but i would offer another observation. The throttle body is heated by a coolant line. Is it possible that the throttle body was not getting warm enough and this was mixing up the tps?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      ChrisChattaway I had the P2135 code show up on my 2008 Aveo 5 a couple of times then the CEL went off. The P2135 code was still in the memory. I also cleared the code and it didn't come back for a month.

The P2135 code should be from an "electrical" value not meeting what is programed into the ECM. The code triggers when the electrical values are not met.

P2135 Meaning
      Electric throttle control actuator consists of throttle control motor, throttle position sensor, etc. The throttle position sensor responds to the throttle valve movement.

The throttle position sensor has the two sensors (sensor "A" and sensor "B"). These sensors are a kind of potentiometers which transform the throttle valve position into output voltage, and emit the voltage signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM). In addition, these sensors detect the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feed the voltage signals to the ECM. The ECM judges the current opening angle of the throttle valve from these signals and the ECM controls the throttle control motor to make the throttle valve opening angle properly in response to driving condition.

I never read where the coolant heating the throttle body changed an electrical value.

I did watch someone take apart their throttle body and examine the potentiometers under a microscope. The potentiometers fingers were made from very small wire and one finger had a slight defect that caused the P2135 code.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12