•  

Thread: P0106 and no idea.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

P0106 and no idea.

After getting my fathers 05 aveo new CV joint and a bearing he took it to work for the first time which ran fine but on the way back home the engine started acting pissy throwing a P0106 CEL.

So upon further inspection the vac-hose connecting to the MAP sensor to the manifold had a crack in the rubber so I wrapped electrical tape around the cracked rubber joint as a temporary fix to see if it resolves the issue and clearing the code. The code never came back but it's still wanting to die intermittently on idles when let off the gas and vacuum pressure seems to be in the green.

I went hunting around vac lines looking for dryrot cracks and hissing noises but found nothing so now im thinking there was an underlying issue that may have set the code off with the crack in the line just making it more susceptible.

As of now I have the throttle body off to be cleaned since it's filthy but im not gonna hold my breath on this as a resolution so does anyone have any idea what else could make the idle pissy that may throw a P0106 but not necessarily be the issue?

Also assuming that this crack has been there awhile would the ECU acclimate to this drop in vac and when the issue is resolved it would need to be reset in some fashion to get it back in the norm?

Last edited by RBRx; 07-08-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Good advice in this video
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thx for that ironic informative video...

Well to follow up after I cleaned the throttle body I decided to check out the EGR valve to see how filthy that was and in the process snapped one of the bolts. In retrospect I shouldn't have touched it since it was pretty clean but luckily the holes weren't a blind end so drilling them out and a bolt and nut sufficed. After getting it all together she seems to run great with the short trips that's been taken around town but I wont classify it as resolved just yet until it's been taken on longer trips over time.

My advice is clean the throttle body first THEN TEST before you move onto other things like the EGR