•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil for automatic tranny? Fluide G3 or Fluid IIIG?

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      You might want to read this thread:

https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/...20/index2.html

You can use Dexron III, although it is not synthetic. It IS compatible with the newer (more expensive) synthetic types. I have an '09. I've been routinely draining and refilling the A/T every year with Dex III. That's 10 years. I've never had any problem with it.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      You might want to read this thread:

https://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/...20/index2.html

You can use Dexron III, although it is not synthetic. It IS compatible with the newer (more expensive) synthetic types. I have an '09. I've been routinely draining and refilling the A/T every year with Dex III. That's 10 years. I've never had any problem with it.
      Thanks for the link. Seen some talks abotu Dex 3 also. As both manuals (English/Spanish) either state T-IV or 3309 which are part synthetic I'd feel more confortbale paying the extra putting this in though.
      Really not sure what they put in at the factory. Is it the Aisin T-IV?

As I'm in a market where any repairs would be very expensive or even impossible I'll go for the more expensive oil.
      If I was back in UK or USA then I'd throw in the cheaper stuff as the cars are worth 5 times less.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Good source VIN lookup shows my car was made in Mexico.
      Has the AW81-40LE for sure

VIN Decoder

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Go to th " Bob is the Oil Guy " ATF sub-forum and ask . May have to redister ?

A lot of very knowledgeable people there .

My little car from Korea is a 2015 Chevy Sonic automatic . It calls for Dexron 6 .

Wyr
      God bless

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
      Go to th " Bob is the Oil Guy " ATF sub-forum and ask . May have to redister ?

A lot of very knowledgeable people there .

My little car from Korea is a 2015 Chevy Sonic automatic . It calls for Dexron 6 .

Wyr
      God bless
      Been a keen reader on bobs forum for well over 7 years now. Thanks for the tip though. I have a thread going on there.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      My vote goes to Valvoline maxlife full synth ATF. I (and many others) use it in all my vehicles, everything from the daewoo/aveo, Volvo V70 (also an AISIN trans w/ 3309 speced), BMW x3 (curiously has a chevy trans), ford ranger manual trans (mazda trans/mercon spec), chevy tracker. I also use it in 'big red' - the 01 F250SD powerstroke 7.3 diesel, which puts a lot of strain on the trans when towing multi ton loads in the local mountains - have towed up to 5 ton loads with it. When towing, I use the 'torque app' with OBD2 dongle to monitor the trans fluid temperature while driving, temp goes up significantly when going up any kind of grade and having the larger trans oil cooler is essential. I've done many thousands of miles with it and have full confidence with it in all US, aisian/Japanese and euro transmissions, meets all DEXron/mercon current specs and more . I have yet to find a transmission it is not suitable for.

Even better, particularly for a full synth fluid, its not expensive (under $20 a gallon usually) and available at Walmart (usually in stock, but if not I order it online for pu at the local Walmart).

I have drained some ugly looking fluid several times on acquired vehicles (and I am not in the camp that says it shouldnt be changed if it has never been changed). Several manufacturers including Volvo and BMW were at one point calling the trans fluid 'lifetime fill' only to change that to require changing because the transmissions were going out at 130k (curious how 130k seems to be the magic number for failure regardless of manufacturer). I think 30-50k is a reasonable change interval (and trans filter). Changing fluid will not save an already failing trans, but is good practice for all others.
      Last edited by mrpriceisright; 03-26-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Needed changing after 70, 000 kms

Got around to draining and removing the pan today. Omg it was dirty and black but not smelling bad. Managed to drain 3 litres. Cleaned up the pan and magnets. New filter in, new gasket and pan back on. 3 litres of T-IV in. Will drop it tomorrow and check the level at 80c. After a run I will drain and refill 2 more litres. So glad I decided to change it as it was black.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12