I know this will go unanswered, but I am going to ask anyway. A battery can be considered 'dead/bad' if it is putting out only a few less volts or amps? Sorry i dont know which is right. My battery in my 2006 Aveo, that I put in 16 months ago, after weeks of slow/hard starts, got a new one at WalMart, $117. Runs perfectly. Last night ran fine. This morning I am finally, aiming my headlights, (I got a reply on how to do that!)! Try to turn it on, and 'click,click,click,click'.
Well tested the amps or the volts, sorry i dont know what the tool is that my brother in law used, and it was like 12.3 volts? I thought car batteries were 12volt batteries!! So..whats the problem?
Well i took out the battery, it has a 5 year warranty on it, and a 3 year free replacement warranty on it, it did have a tiny acid leak from the top, I found dried up acid under the battery, on the battery tray.
WalMart charged it for like 20 mins, then gave me a new one. Free. Perfect!
I cleaned up the battery tray, and put the red grease on the posts this time, and those felt pads on the posts, and it starts right up! Great! BUT...they go 'dead or bad' with just a tiny lowering of power? Am I making any sense?
The test WalMart and my brother in law both did on it, said it had 12.3 volts in it. I thought that meant it was a good battery,...(but it was leaking, a VERY tiny leak, but leaking),....Now I am hearing it is suppose to put out like 13.9 volts to start a car? Is this right?
Sorry, i dont know how to make this shorter. But can such a tiny lose of power, make a battery 'die', be considered bad/dead? Obviously yes...mine was.
BUT, the lights were on, the radio worked, it started up perfectly till yesterday,..then today I aim the headlights and try to start it, and ...dead? I mean I got a new battery, for free, still have 14 months left on the free replacement, and 3.5 years on the prorated part, ...but such a tiny lose of power and all you get is, click,click,click?
I really thought a battery had to loose a lot of its power, to 'die' on you overnight. It read 12.3 volts or amps, whatever, and it got replaced. I am just curious about the numbers. I always thought they were 12 Volt batteries in cars. So if it reads 12.3...why isnt it good? I'm just curious.
I HATE to ask/say this, but is this because I drive SO little? I am not charging it enough? I live in a hot climate, (that eats batteries), and i dont drive long distances,...so is this going to add up to a new battery every 2 years?