•  

Thread: New to the aveo world jumping into FI shooting for 12s 1/4mile time

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

New to the aveo world jumping into FI shooting for 12s 1/4mile time

Hey everyone I'm a civic guy, currently driving a boosted 1993 del sol at 302whp/247wtq well I just did the timing belt swap on my old lady's aveo. She has the 09 with ecotec VVT much like vtec in Hondas! Anyways I've gotten into researching and have noticed these little cars have a lot of potential and I'm going to turbo an aveo. What I need to know is what is the best head I can use on the cast iron block. I've not really looked into the aluminum block but I would assume it will be much like a honda aluminum block. Anyways will the vvt ecotec head fit on the 05 aveo cast block? And also... How well does the plastic manifold hold up to boost? I'm interested in finding a heavy duty manifold that'll just bolt up. Also is there a larger throttle body that can be placed on the intake? My goal is 8.5:1 forged pistons, I've heard the rods are basically racing rods from vitara setup Suzuki's can anyone confirm this? And 450cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, 2.5 bar map sensor, a 5757 turbo but I also need to know where I can find a turbo manifold that will bolt up, I have several d16 manifolds from my del sol would they bolt up? If not what modifications do I need to make to make it work? and lastly some ventilation for crankcase pressure I'd be running NGK bkr7e plugs and NGK wires as well as RoTella t 15w40 oil. Thanks everyone for your time!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      no. what aluminum block? will hold up ok. no. new flange. you need to pop the hood and look at the engine before you go buying wires and things.. good luck. how many miles does she have that you needed a timing belt already?

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Its great to see enthusiasm, but I would start small and build from there. Just turboing this 1.6 ECOTEC and having it as a reliable daily driver it is worth some applause. If your new to the engine , GM has a euro Corsa gsi based on the vvt 1.6 and it is bad ass

Thanks
      I'm by no means a newb when it comes to building slow cars to be respectable. Here is what I need to know. Can the ecotec head bolt to the e-tec2 cast iron block? Is there a metal intake manifold for the ecotec head? How reliable is the plastic intake manifold? If I want a cast intake should I just do a lanos head swap? Does the lanos head have the same vvt programming as the ecotec? She had 99,000 miles and it was one ugly timing belt. I'm not going to use her car I'm probably selling my Del Sol for around $4500 to buy a manual aveo. Idk how well these automatic trannys can be built. Honda autos can't be used for drag cars because they are setup cvt that works like manual transmissions not with planetary gears. But fuel systems and all that is necessary for power. Been tuning Hondas for years. I understand what all I need but what I don't know is what is most accepting of power.
      Last edited by Vtec; 05-06-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      For what you're aiming for, I would just swap for a Cobalt engine.

Thanks
      Don't underestimate the 1.6l these flow better than Hondas. My single cam 1.6l made 302whp with just pistons, rods, fuel pump, injectors and an eBay turbo on 93 octane gasoline. It doesn't take a lot of magic and special work to make power. People just want easy. But I want people to be surprised at an aveo motor. I'm not trying to disrespect but I just want to have some comprehension when I get my hands dirty of what others have experienced.

Thanks
      Id bet $ u cant swap the aveo heads, and yes the vvt aveo is a completely different program. The 1.6 vvt aveo and the 1.8 aveo share 90% of parts including the ecu. I think the plastic manifold will hold reasonably well. The 1.4T guys also have a plastic manifold and it seems to hold near 20psi just fine ( if I read correctly ). To boost an aveo vvt to 8-10 psi would be an accomplishment. u can check the Sonic forum to see the 1.8 guys ideas. It sounds like u want to revert to the Daewoo based E tec II, I wouldn't, but to each his own. The vvt motor already has a iron block and parts can be found from opel/vauxhal engines to build a bullet proof bottom end. Good luck...

Thanks
      The answer to most of your questions is no. You really are over estimating this engine.