•  

Thread: Need help removing the heated oxygen sensor cable fitting.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Need help removing the heated oxygen sensor cable fitting.

Hi group,

I'm trying to get my aveo5 to pass smog did a check and my meter says no hcat and maybe my cat. converter.... Also on a side note, I had replaced the battery and then removed the seats and removing the passenger seat set off my airbag light ( I didn't remove the battery first) because I had just failed smog and read I needed to keep my battery connected for a week to reset the system...

On the Oxy sensor, I see where it is and I see the cable fittings but I I don't feel or see a clip to press or slide, I don't want to break another fitting so if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Never replaced one myself, but you could look for a pic of the part online that shows the connector and get and idea from that, or go to your favourite parts store and ask to see a replacement.

Cheers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JB_Fraser For This Useful Post:

dfphoto (09-19-2020)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      When you look at the O2 connectors, there is one side with an automotive fastener/push pin holding the connector to something. On the opposite side of the fastener (think of fastener as bottom), or top, there is a very small black tab that when held in releases the actual O2 sensor plug locking tab, this is a very small tab at the top rear of the connector in a small cutout area, hard to find. You have to gently push the tab down, while pulling the connectors apart. It's a two hand procedure, as the tab must be held down the entire time.

The connectors will most likely be somewhat difficult to remove from each other, so instead of trying to push the tab even harder, gently hold the tab down and rock the connectors around inside of each other, then gently work them apart.

Be careful with the connectors, the "release tab" is usually on the chassis side of the wiring (the part that leads to the ECM), not generally on the device attached to it. If tabs get broken, you will have to hold the connectors together with a zip-tie.

Too late for pics outside tonight, see if I can take one in the morning.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thank you!!! I was able to spray lubricant and pliers to rock back and forth... Of course the heat diverter bolt broke off and with all kinds of force, I cannot get the oxy sensor off... saw some videos where you need map gas and I don't have time for that mess... I'm gutted since I screwed up the airbag and now this mess.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Soak the 02 where it meets the pipe with penetrating oil for a few days, a squirt or two each day. See if that helps, but it only helps over time, not overnight. I have used a plumbers style pencil flame torch (not map gas, just regular) to heat up the actual "nut" of a O2 sensor after soaking it for a few days. I heated it up until I thought it was too much (it won't glow red on regular propane gas no matter how long you hold the flame), then throw a socket/crow foot on it and give it hell. It works, but, as soon as the metal cools it stops turning. Because propane isn't as hot, this usually results in about 1/6th of a turn at a time, then I hit the still warm area with more penetrating oil, and heat it again repeating the procedure until it starts to turn out.

Do you have side airbags in the seat? If you do, and they were simply disconnected when the key was turned back on, plugging it back in then disconnecting the car battery for a few hours *might* clear the code.

Update: I read your other post, something was damaged when the carpet and seats came out. If you do have the side/seat airbag hosing it down wasn't good for it.
      Last edited by Houdoxi71; 09-19-2020 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Read other post, updated my response.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Houdoxi71 For This Useful Post:

dfphoto (09-19-2020)

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Houdoxi71

Thanks for your help, I don't have a torch at the moment, I'm really stressed out about the airbag... just gutted... I screwed it up for sure!!!