•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP!!! No start and no crank on 2009 Chevrolet Aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

NEED HELP!!! No start and no crank on 2009 Chevrolet Aveo

Hey everybody! Have a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo that intermittently won't start. Checked for power at the signal wire at the starter and had my test light light up. All fuses and relays are fine so I replaced the starter. Started up with no issue. Drove it to the gas station and then it wouldn't start again. Now I'll probably have to tow it to the shop but I'd really like to fix it before then. I'm wondering if anyone has ever run into this kind of issue before? Thanks in advance!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Did you check the red starter wire for power?

Thanks
      Yep. Has proper battery voltage.

Thanks
      I haven't been able to check again since it wouldn't start again. It's parked down the street at the gas station. Plus, given the location of the starter, I need to have it in the hoist to check voltage at the starter.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      How about the factory starter - did you test it after removing it from your Aveo? I suppose it's possible the replacement starter also went bad right out of the box, but IMO it seems more likely that there's an electrical/computer glitch going on. You should be able to figure out if the new starter is bad fairly quickly, and move on to the next step from there.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Two things. What voltage are you testing to say the battery is good? If my battery dropped below 11.5 volt on crank, and my aveo wouldn't start. EVERY battery test i attempted, says the battery is good down to about 10.25 volts.

Second, how do you know the relay is good? it might be overheating, staying on or intermittently defaulting.
      I once fixed a vw that could only start an hour after it was started the last time. Because the draw warped the magnetic switch and it took an hour for it to cool enough to work. Which is fine for a long commute, or driving to work. But you run to the gas station, it wouldn't restart when you came out.

I would try switching relays, I think the fan relay, ac relay and horn relay are the same as the starter relay. swap them.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Two things. What voltage are you testing to say the battery is good? If my battery dropped below 11.5 volt on crank, and my aveo wouldn't start. EVERY battery test i attempted, says the battery is good down to about 10.25 volts.

Second, how do you know the relay is good? it might be overheating, staying on or intermittently defaulting.
      I once fixed a vw that could only start an hour after it was started the last time. Because the draw warped the magnetic switch and it took an hour for it to cool enough to work. Which is fine for a long commute, or driving to work. But you run to the gas station, it wouldn't restart when you came out.

I would try switching relays, I think the fan relay, ac relay and horn relay are the same as the starter relay. swap them.
      and I would like to add that when a battery starts going bad, it does weird things to the electrical system like causing the radio and the HVAC (the electrical parts like the Recirculation door control, and the A/C Demand Control) to go dead, or like I experienced a couple of weeks ago, where the CAN bus had the Automotive Equivalent of a STROKE, and caused my speedometer to have a seizure between zero and my actual speed.

Thanks
      The battery tested at 12.3v and 567CCA and is rated for 580CCA. I think the relay is good because I can hear it clicking when the key is turned to start. The ignition relay and the starter relay are right beside each other so you can feel the ignition relay click first, and then the starter relay click second. I didn't bench test the starter when I took it out because at the time, it seemed like the starter war the culprit. After work today I went out to push it into the shop, and if fired right up. I brought it in and retested the battery, pulled the fuse box apart and checked for any corrosion but found nothing. At this point in starting to get truly baffled.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      It only dropped to 12.3? what is residual charge before load 13.2? Maybe you have too much charge for safe levels in the ECU? I'm not sure that is possible.

Does your car have immobilizer, or / and other features? Do you have a consistent reaction when it doesn't start, even though not starting is inconsistent?, is it in "ranges" or does it restart randomly, or on the __ try? etc.

Thanks
      I have the same issue. I'm afraid of replacing the starter and not fix the issue. Mine is also 2009, and has E-Tech II engine, I think your's is the Ecotech. I couldn't find a relay for the starter to Swap. I'm thinking of replacing the solenoid and see if that helps. I've also changed keys thinking it could be an inmovilizer issue. I've also replaced the battery. The issue occurs after driving for long periods of time, usually an hour or so. If I wait 10-15 minutes the car will start.

Sent from my GT-I8190L using Tapatalk

Last edited by vcarlos40; 08-31-2016 at 01:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast